...which vac for power tools!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a decent vac with power take-off facility!
There's a few on the market ranging from £80 to £145ish!
..any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Gerry

You need to work out how much power your biggest machine uses. In my case I need 2000w for my trend router, this size leaves little choice but i went for the trend extractor and have no regrets.

I have the Hitachi and I wouldn't be without it. I also have a Festool, which does have variable speed (important when you are sanding, otherwise the sander gets stuck to you work instead of vibrating) but for general purpose workshop use,I wouldn't be without the Hitachi.
I know the Trend looks the same. I don't know if it is the same. If it is, you won't be disappointed.
S

Hi,

Cheap Aldi/Lidl one here, very impressed with it, wet/dry, power take off 4 meter hose, stainless steel drum, power tool adaptor.
And only £60, keep an eye out for them they don't have them in all the time.

Pete

I use a cheapo MacAllister from B&Q.
A bit noisy but had it for several yrs and still going strong and has a power take off.
I also use it with a wireless control from Maplins.

Rod

I have the Makita, and it handles everything from tablesaw to sanders,,,

+1 for Trend, I belt sanded the sitting room floor - yes a 533 * 75mm machine - and there was very little dust not captured. Probably slightly over your budget. I think I paid about £170 after haggling.

DT

Just had the exact same problem. I wanted the festool or the 3M / bosch / metabo model. Too expensive though. I found the Nilfisk 30T from machine mart. Only cost £113 and the bags are pretty cheap too (unlike the bosch ones)

It seems very good so far, very long hose so I can cover the whole workshop without moving it. Quite a nice switch. Power tool take off works well.
Also has a 2 year guarantee.

Overall seems like a good buy. I used to have a cheapo Macallister from B and Q which constantly annoyed me with its rubbish hose and frankly extreme noise, the Nilfisk is much, much better than that.

Ollie

Ollie78":e5tzmij1 said:
I found the Nilfisk 30T from machine mart. Only cost £113 and the bags are pretty cheap too (unlike the bosch ones)

I have the Bosch unit and agree those bags are expensive but you can use the machine without the bags, just makes emptying and cleaning a bit of a pain 'tho.

i have a cheap axminster vac, quite noisy but i keep mine under my radial arm saw so the noise is reduced a little
often the tools i am using it with are noisier than the extractor so it doesn't bother me much
the suck was pretty rubbish with the big 100mm hose but i reduced it to a 40mm pipe which made the strength considerably greater. with some pvc fittings, duct tape and some custom dust hoods i have efficient extraction for every tool

+1 for Trend. Got a Festool midi aswell, great for sanding and have used a Fein and would recommend them all.
Martin

Losos":2dklt250 said:
Ollie78":2dklt250 said:
I found the Nilfisk 30T from machine mart. Only cost £113 and the bags are pretty cheap too (unlike the bosch ones)

I have the Bosch unit and agree those bags are expensive but you can use the machine without the bags, just makes emptying and cleaning a bit of a pain 'tho.
.... I have the metabo,I think it's the same as the bosch,the bags are expensive .... I'm thinking of getting some sort of fabric bag stitched up incorparating the plastic ring with A zip on the bottom (like the bag on A chop saw) . . .'don't know if it'll work but I don't think it will cost much to get one made! . . . by the way great machine!

Some good info here but no-one has mentioned how fine the filters are.

I use a lot of MR MDF and try my best to keep any escape of dust to a minimum.

I have used a Henry with HEPA bags for some time but it's deffinately time to get a dedicated vac for the shop.

Over 20yrs ago I went to my local Numatic agent. The sort of place that supplies some of the shops and spare parts. For £100 he made me up from odd bits a metal cylinder unit with auto switching head. He included 5m hose and the supplementary "hospital grade" fine material filter. I use mdf and hardwoods, and have renovated my 3 houses on a back to brick basis. The best test for me has always been a total lack of smell from the unit when vacuming up plaster and mdf dust. I have run anything up to my 1850w Elu router through the unit. I have NEVER needed to use a bag filter. I am still using that original supplementary filter provided. After 15 yrs the switch unit started playing up, so I replaced the part. Last summer I upgraded the motor from the original 900w to a 1200w.
If I was buying again I would definitely buy a a Numatic, but from Axminster, as its cheaper. The one you want is the Numatic ARXP470 Power Tool Vacuum Extractor. I know its out of your price band, so its a matter of watching the small adds, ebay etc.
Out of interest, or possibly not, we have also run a Numatic Henry in the house since we got married, Oct 1985. I would have no hesitation in buying another of product off them.

Colin

Latest posts

Back