Which UK stain for guitar amber?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smckerrell

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm trying to buy some Amber for a base stain on maple for guitar finish to be darkened over to build up a decent finish.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent yellow/Amber widely available in the UK that would work for this base colour?

All help appreciated.

I have some amber from Rothko & Frost, might be labelled with their Dartford brand but it's on their site ( this one I think ). It's spirit-based, not sure if they do a water equivalent though.
I also mix shades up from yellow, brown and red, to get different amber-type shades.

I can recommend crimson guitars stunning stains, very good quality, the water based ones are the ones I bought and it worked a treat, a little goes a long way as well, used for one bass guitar I have about 95% of it left in all 3 colours, here's a pic of the p-bass I made with the stains, once dried it was then finished with 2 layers of de-waxed shellac, I used the yellow, amber, and crimson red stains.

Attachments

• p-bass_chromeknobs-1.jpg
    p-bass_chromeknobs-1.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 0
I can recommend crimson guitars stunning stains, very good quality, the water based ones are the ones I bought and it worked a treat, a little goes a long way as well, used for one bass guitar I have about 95% of it left in all 3 colours, here's a pic of the p-bass I made with the stains, once dried it was then finished with 2 layers of de-waxed shellac, I used the yellow, amber, and crimson red stains.
Stunning!

Back