which type of workshop heating?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_1380

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

My hobby workshop is getting very cold in these months. I was thinking about a wood burning stove; providing I follow all the BRs regarding flues and position etc will it be ok in a workshop?

The workshop is a multipurpose one; engineering and wood working.

I appreciate they will give off some moisture but if i keep an eye on this are there any other porblems i should be aware of?

Cheers
R

I think it's parafin heaters that give off moisture - the woodburners we have in the house give a very dry heat indeed.
I'd love one in me shed .... and me other shed ... and...

hahah

Ah ok, my mistake I got mixed up. The gargage is approx 5m x 5m and 3m high.

Obviuosly I won't be runnign the stove all year, jsut on cold days. When I'm in there I tend to be in there most of the day so having a long 'warm up' time shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just wondering: A) safety factor (fumes and fire) and B) whether it will put out enough heat. I read somewhere that 9kw is needed for around 65m cubed? Does that sound right to you guys?

Bkn":2ubufcre said:
There was a thread a little while ago that'd be good to read through:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/work ... 46209.html

Hi Russ:

When I built my shop last year, I researched a lot of the options covered in the above thread above. For me, using a wood stove came down to two issues, space and cost of the stove pipe etc. My shop is a wood frame structure, so that meant extra shielding on the wall or extra distance, plus there are clearance issues on the sides (your regulations no doubt vary, however). I also have a very tall shop, so the pipe required and the fittings needed to get it through the roof safely would have cost much more than the stove itself.

The main thing issue in your garage, I think, is the space required. If you do decide to go with it, see what you can do for an outside air source as Bob (9fingers) said in his post on the other thread.

Kirk

I will be posting pictures here in a bit, probably January, but a couple of months ago I finally go round to pouring my concrete floors for my two main rooms, 75 sq metres and 25 sq metres. It gets kind of cold here in winter so I opted for underfloor heating. Concrete should be ready for it being commissioned shortly. In the big room is 15cm thick so I am hoping that once it is up to temperature it should be very economical to run. I will be using a big coal burner to heat the water, that is in a separate rooms. one of the reasons to do it was that the cost of the pipes is less than the radiators I would have required. About half the price in fact. Also will not have any radiators to get dusty or in the way of work benches etc. Will let you all know how it goes.
I hope to make a thread of all the work I have done so far in renovating the building.

ah thanks guys.

I read the links and did some more research, it turns out that I think the wood burner will prove too costly.

Reading the regs I discovered the flue needs to be above the roof line :shock: . My garage has a domestic room above it with an adjoining balcony. Having a large flue shooting all the way up the wall would look awful and cost a fortune. I'm going to have to rethink this one.

Is there no way around the regs regarding flue height? The house is detached so surely if the flue was free from obstrucion and combustables it would be safe?

What about these panel heaters you see, the slim line ones that mount on to the wall and plug straight in to 240v?

It would be interested to see your thread on underfloor heating. Unfortuneatly my workshop would not warrant that as its just a hobby / play area for me

I have a completely un-insulated shed to date (10'x12'), I bought one of these 2.4kw fan heaters,

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... HEATER.htm

it warms the shed really well and when I'm bodging I warm up anyway-being a miserable Scotsgit the thermostat dial is set really low, its not the ideal set up for shorts and T shirt, it knocks the chill off, it makes the shed comfy to work in-I'm just in from it and its -7c outside, I plan to further insulate the shed as I go along so its a good stop gap

My workshop has 3" of loft isulation in the walls, and 4" in the roof.

it is 5m X 3.6m and I have the large pot belly woodburner.

That is more than enough heat for a workshop, I went to a lot of trouble to insulate the walls around it, I used two layers of fireproof plasterboardd, with an air gap between, then paving slabs directly behind the fire, with another air gap

It is toasty in there and I sometimes have to open the door because it gets too hot.

Safety wise, there is no issue as long as you meet building regs regarding proximity to flamable surfaces etc. and use a bit of common sense regarding scrap wood and dust around the area of the fire.

Back