Which table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Elm

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a table saw in the sub £1000 bracket?

Or am I better to save a few more pennys and get something more expensive?

I love my woodwork and my tools but unfortunately like most of you out there, "the skys not the limit" but I always try to buy the best I can afford and sometimes a little bit more if I can, without the missus knowing, ehem!!

I would like a cast iron table though and a sliding carrige, or is it maybe better to make my own sliding carrige.... I dunno bout that one, what do you think?

Bill

I'm happy enough with my SIP 01332 cast iron 10" saw though I think it may have been superceded by the 01574 which includes a sliding carriage but has a smaller motor. The 01332 is still available to buy and s/h models are also around. There are other brands which are the same saw I think, do a search on the forum! There are loads of threads on the subject of table saw choice.

Whatever you do allow a budget for a decent blade as the ones supplied are usually rubbish.

I don't have the sliding table as I'm a bit limited for space but have often wondered whether I could fashion on myself which could be easily removeable.

cheers

Bob

A little more than your budget, but those of us with the Excalibur 10" cabinet saw from Woodford are very happy with it. They have a new version out now with a left-tilt arbor and the switch on the left. Excellent saw.

Steve Maskery":3m8uwptg said:
A little more than your budget, but those of us with the Excalibur 10" cabinet saw from Woodford are very happy with it. They have a new version out now with a left-tilt arbor and the switch on the left. Excellent saw.

Thanks Steve,

I had a look at that saw and I must say it does look like exactly what I'm looking for. I really like the fact that the optional extension tables are cast iron and not pressed steel, as is the mitre fence, and the other big plus for me is the option to have the extended arbor so you can fit a dado head cutter something that I havn't seen on saws over here before. I've never even heard of these saws before.

I must say that I was a bit apprehensive as wither or not to post the question about which saw, as I was aware that it had been asked loads of times before and I would probably be told to do a search but I must say that I'm really glad now that I did, as like I said above I'd never even heard of that make of saw!!

So my minds made up and I'll wait a while longer and save some more cash and buy it!

Thanks again to you all for the advice!!

Bill

Bills Elm":np06c44n said:
and the other big plus for me is the option to have the extended arbor so you can fit a dado head cutter something that I havn't seen on saws over here before. I've never even heard of these saws before.
Bill

I think it's time to put your tin hat on. :wink:

Just having a bit of fun, and I certainly wasn't thinking of you Steve, after all you are a self confessed [if occasional] dado cutter user. :)

Off topic I know but congrats on getting in Good Woodworking again. A very nice looking dresser.

monkeybiter":1828u2s8 said:
Just having a bit of fun, and I certainly wasn't thinking of you Steve, after all you are a self confessed [if occasional] dado cutter user. :)

Off topic I know but congrats on getting in Good Woodworking again. A very nice looking dresser.

Er. if you read my reply, you will realise that congrats are most definitely not in order!!!
But thank you for the sentiment, I realise that it was made in a good spirit.
S

Ok guys,

I've read the replies and thankyou!

but please tell me what's wrong with a stacked dado head cutter??

All power tools are dangerous!! and that's a fact so if you're careful like I always am what's the problem?

I'm new on here but I can't help feeling like I'm missing something so please advise as to what the problem is.

" I think it's time you put your tin hat on" ??

Bill

Use of a stacked dado increases the hazard when using a saw, and many people don't allow for the increased hazard with respect to guarding and general safe working methods, so predictable accidents happen. Some people can get a little worked up about it.

Staked dado heads are fine if used properly. The problem is that they are rarely used properly. Often the riving knife has to be removed and with it, the guard. That is fine if another guard is installed in its place. But it rarely is. Also the extra mass increases the braking time (and on some saws also damages the braking mechanism.
Don't take your guidance of how to use a stacked dado from American YouTube videos, they are not good practice!
S

Hey can anyone give me a review or their opinion of a DM italia tsi sliding table saw with spindal molder looks like a good machine have the opertunity to buy a second hand one for 1100 euro. can't find any reviews online. Thanks in advance

Just as a matter of interest does anyone own, or have tried the new Delta 10" unisaw?

I watched a few vids on it and i must say it looks awesome! I don't think it's available over here in the U.K. and as much as hate giving the yanks any credit at all, (sorry if you're an american i'm only joking) it does look like an awesome saw!

Just wondered if anyone has aquired one by fair means or foul, and what they think of it.

If you havn't seen it here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3YsctLHjWg Droooooooll.

There are many more videos of it, if you look for them on youtube.

I have an old unisaw which I think is great.

I saw a new one at rockler in the usa. One of the biggest improvements is that the riving knife can be taken off in seconds. On mine I have to undo 2 nuts and is the main reason I don't bother using a dado since its 2 nuts to put it back and line it up again to use normally. I think I'd take the dado cutters out of the box if it was as quick as the new one.

If you can get your hands on one, I'd jump at it.

If I had to buy a saw in the uk, I'd get the Excalibur which is very similar

Mark

rdesign":11hsa54k said:
Hey can anyone give me a review or their opinion of a DM italia tsi sliding table saw with spindal molder looks like a good machine have the opertunity to buy a second hand one for 1100 euro. can't find any reviews online. Thanks in advance

Hi rdesign, you would be better putting this topic in a new thread for your own benifit mate you will get a better responce.

The Bear":zsh3zop8 said:
I have an old unisaw which I think is great.

I saw a new one at rockler in the usa. One of the biggest improvements is that the riving knife can be taken off in seconds. On mine I have to undo 2 nuts and is the main reason I don't bother using a dado since its 2 nuts to put it back and line it up again to use normally. I think I'd take the dado cutters out of the box if it was as quick as the new one.

If you can get your hands on one, I'd jump at it.

If I had to buy a saw in the uk, I'd get the Excalibur which is very similar

Mark

You could fit the Snap In splitter, takes about 5 secs to remove or replace. Just turn by hand the knurled nut (J in the link below) one turn and it's out.

http://www.sawcenter.com/splitter.htm

Back