Which table saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirjj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum.

Im looking for a table saw for around a hundred pounds so far ive found this

and this plus this.

Do any of you know what table saw would be better for me to get i cant go far above 100 but can go to around 130 if the extra is worth it.

Im learning to make things like furniture and have got tired of having a jigsaw as my only saw, other than that i would like it to be able to cut of thin strips of wood. i am open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

Hudson Carpentry":1jhdjiyc said:
I would go for this with your budget, the extra £35 is worth it.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... 966/p66094

It maybe worth looking second hand. I sold a ryobi one for £50 recently.

well thats jumped to the top of my list, as for second hand i have been looking but havent found many for sale.

For this price i would be looking at the Ryobi and the SIP. Try placing a wanted add in the for sale section here, also try the same thing on gumtree and in your local free add's.

There is nothing nicer then a brand new tool though.

Hudson Carpentry":3cj0e2vj said:
For this price i would be looking at the Ryobi and the SIP. Try placing a wanted add in the for sale section here, also try the same thing on gumtree and in your local free add's.

There is nothing nicer then a brand new tool though.

i agree but they come with a price tag :)

For your modest budget you would get best value by buying a pre-used item. Look in local press or for local offerings on Ebay.

The type of machine you are likely to get will use a noisy brush motor and be direct drive - ie. the blade will fit directly on to the motor spindle. One of the 'limitations' of this type of design is the inability to use the dado set you've also linked to. In fact there are very few table saws available 9in Europe) that have a long enough arbor to accept a dado and even then they should only be used on machines designed to use them along with suitable blade guarding. If you search on the subject of dado blades you will find many many pages of passionate comments.

Years ago my father-in-law had a 'low cost' Clarke table saw that had a longer arbor, but the lightweight construction and the energy of a spiining dado set would not have been a sensible or safe combination.

If you are planning to use timber of any great size you will need to ensure that the saw is firmly fixed to a non tipping stand - also you will need support for cut timber of any great length and will find a home made outfeed table a necessity.

Misterfish

misterfish":fim71g7r said:
For your modest budget you would get best value by buying a pre-used item. Look in local press or for local offerings on Ebay.

The type of machine you are likely to get will use a noisy brush motor and be direct drive - ie. the blade will fit directly on to the motor spindle. One of the 'limitations' of this type of design is the inability to use the dado set you've also linked to. In fact there are very few table saws available 9in Europe) that have a long enough arbor to accept a dado and even then they should only be used on machines designed to use them along with suitable blade guarding. If you search on the subject of dado blades you will find many many pages of passionate comments.

Years ago my father-in-law had a 'low cost' Clarke table saw that had a longer arbor, but the lightweight construction and the energy of a spiining dado set would not have been a sensible or safe combination.

If you are planning to use timber of any great size you will need to ensure that the saw is firmly fixed to a non tipping stand - also you will need support for cut timber of any great length and will find a home made outfeed table a necessity.

Misterfish

would i be able to find a table saw of my budget second hand that will fit a dado blade?

Hi sirjj

I have no wish to pour cold water on your aspirations, but you really are expecting too much of a little saw. Dado use is fraught with difficulties and not just the legal ones. They are not illegal per se but often their use is illegal in commercial workshops due to guarding and braking issues that usually accompany the use of a dado set.

In your price bracket you are going to be very lucky indeed to find a saw of any kind that is going to drive a dado set properly. Either forget the dado set or get used to the idea of finding a bigger budget.

Why do you want to use a dado set anyway? What are you planning to use it for? If you are a home woodworker like most of us here, and not planning long batch runs, a dado head is an inefficient way of cutting housings anyway. Yes the result is good, but the setup and strike time makes it very slow for just one or two housings. A router and jig is a much safer, easier and, for small runs at at least, quicker way of achieving the same end.

My advice is forget the dado for now, find a way to increase your budget and buy quality second-hand.

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear! :)
Cheers
Steve

+1 on comments re dado.

What about a bandsaw, in relative tems a safer option than a table saw

I've got the SIP, with table stand, and it's sitting in my garage doing nothing. Are you anywhere near Cambridge? I'd sell it for 90 quid.

I'll warn you, in case you don't already know, that it's a 16mm bore.

The saw you posted is identical to my Ferm Z250. OK for the money, in my opinion.

Don't count on using a Dado stack. European saws are not made to take one. I had the blade off mine yesterday and you could maybe fit a 1/4" dado stack safely.

The stock blade isn't up to much. I replaced mine after 6 months.

Note that either one you posted will make a mess. The ferm has a pathetic dust collection connection and essentially an open base so that all the sawdust falls to the floor.

I have build a shallow inverted pyramid bottom out of plywood with a dust port at the apex of the pyramid. I would suggest you do the same.

ive taken your advice on board and have decided that getting a table saw at those prices would probably disappoint me and need to be replaced as soon as i can so instead i got this beast for £99.99 50% of :)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C

img1972t.jpg

also can i get ur opinion on these

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C

and this

http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/ ... ctId=12890

Steve , I havn't mastered this PM thing , or I'd have sent ya one

can ya point me to where I 'd find a copy of these
regulations on daddo/table saw use

Misterfish beat me to it.

The PM icon is at the bottom of each post.

It looks like you have spent your money much more wisely. Excellent.
S

The safety guards are sometimes removed on the show to allow the camera to show you what operation is being performed more clearly, this is not a recommendation for the audience to do the same, you should always treat your tools with the greatest of respect

This statement above any worries me.

I agree with those of you who say that this is a legal "cop out". Sometimes this may be the case but from what I have seen, the guards are removed to actually do the job that is being demonstrated and for me, this is abuse of the caveat quoted above.

It should be realised that an awful lot of people who watch certain TV shows and webclips are novices and are watching these precisely because they are and want to learn. What they see usually overrides commonsense, implying approval for the actions shown. This is wrong IMHO.

Jim

Never used that router but i haven't really been to impressed with that brand. My first router was a cheap one but it broke within a year, literary fell apart. 1500w is also a little underpowered for my use.
I would recomend this http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PI ... er=froogle as the cheapest low end professional router.

If you can afford rutlands are doing a deal at the min http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... 2%22-shank

For the Titan cutters i haven't used them so can't comment, I do however still use some cheap cutters with great results.

Great Chop saw you have choosen!

Latest posts

Back