Which Software do you use? Sketchup, AutoCAD or another?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not free, only trial. $25 to $200 a MONTH, depending on usage

It was a few days ago when I looked at it so I'd forgotten about that pricing scheme. It was when I was looking further into what that actually meant that I found an Autodesk forum where they announced that it would always be free for hobbyist use. See the sixth post on this page:

http://autodesk.lithium.com/t5/News-and ... 212/page/2

Have to say that the Alibre software looks pretty minty, I'm just not convinced I would make good use of it, or more to the point how I could apply it to do what I do in Sketchup. The thought of not having to resize everthing every time I alter something is very appealing. Perhaps someone somewhere offers demonstrations

aideym":1sj13cqg said:
The thought of not having to resize everthing every time I alter something is very appealing.

What do you mean by that? Could you be more specific?

I have used SketchUp for about 7 years, since before Google bought it. For my design needs it is utterly brilliant considering the software is totally free to use. The fact that there are so many useful plugins and so many tutorials available make it an absolute winner. I am certain there are better software suites out there but most carry a hefty price tag. I have designed all manner of furniture, jigs, even tools using SketchUp and have still to find its limits.
The best version in my view is Sketchup 8. Version 9 I could not get on with at all.
C.

woodcrafter":2ydpeder said:
I have used SketchUp for about 7 years, since before Google bought it. For my design needs it is utterly brilliant considering the software is totally free to use. The fact that there are so many useful plugins and so many tutorials available make it an absolute winner. I am certain there are better software suites out there but most carry a hefty price tag. I have designed all manner of furniture, jigs, even tools using SketchUp and have still to find its limits.
The best version in my view is Sketchup 8. Version 9 I could not get on with at all.
C.

Woodcrafter, that's a good testamonial for SketchUp except for one thing. It's no wonder you couldn't get on with SketchUp 9 since there never was a SketchUp 9. ;) The version after SketchUp 8 was and is SketchUp 2013.

I used to use autocad but most of my drawings these days are 2d electrical schematics for control panels and cable schedules so I now use a free program called tinycad. It does everything I want it to and will save into several formats for compatibility.

Back