Which screws and size for 18mm MFC?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use confirmats, occasionally with dominos, but not often. The confirmats are very strong even if you have to take them out and put them back.

The drill bit is a bit expensive and will break if you drop it :-(

As people have said a pilot hole is the best practice and a countersink woodbit is worth considering as well. Spax are good, Reisser are too, and maybe cheaper but KTX Concept are brilliant and are very positive to drive with their driver bits ( included in box ). You can also use most other driver bits, posi etc with them. Geoff

Spax M screws for driving into 'end grain' MDF - no splitting, ever. But seriously, how much time do you save by not drilling a pilot hole?

+1 for confirmat screws as well in MFC, esp. if the head will be visible or if you need to knock it down later on.

Pete

Ive got to say i can see the confusion when people like spax bring out a 'no pilot MDF screw' and say there is no splitting or bulging, however, if you are looking for advice, then it is industry standard to pilot everything normally if it goes into end grain on mf boards.

I have used MDF screws in the past and the directional properties of the drive are hit and miss, and i must say i promote piloting and countersinking. Confirmat screws are good too as said already.

Dont be fooled by 'magic' new products whatever they may be, the DIY market it saturated with them!

P

Latest posts

Back