Which screw for fixing MDF is IKEA PAX wardrobe panel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmick

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and new to the forum.

I just wondering what would be the most appropriate screw to fix a MDF panel to the side of a IKEA PAX wardrobe. I'm trying to go for the build-in look.

Thanks

Will the screw be gripping into the MDF panel or into the Ikea panel (i.e will the head of the screw be seen on the MDF or inside the wardrobe?

The Ikea wardrobe is chipboard and is hard to get a good fixing into. MDF will grip much better.

If screwing into the MDF, try to clamp the two surfaces together along any exposed edges before you drive the screw in.

For really strong, as long as the heads won't be seen, use inter screws (these are the double-headed things you get with an Ikea wardrobe to join one unit to another).

If as above, you screwed through from inside the cupboard, predrill the holes in the cupboard to the shank size, which will allow the screw to pass through the cupboard side without the threads catching, then when you tighten them up, any gap should automatically dissapear.... depending on the expected load, standard countersunk wood screws might do, or if a heavy load, flange head / washer head screws would be better....
As @ChaiLatte said, the inter screws are the strongest

What sort of weight will it be taking?

Back