Which Saw to buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguar999

Reaction score
Hi All,
Happy to find this forum.
I bought a new house and want to do some wood work like:
Under stair drawer
Shelving the built-in wardrobe
Custom cabinets for bathroom
Maybe a built in wardrobe if I get enough confidence.
Lader and boarding in loft.

I already have already have a jigsaw and a jigsaw table from Germany ( neutech) for cutting straight edges.
But it is not very great reliable tool.
Please advice what should I buy (on a budget)
1. MacAllister used but in pristine condition for just £28
2. Well used Makita circular saw for £50.

Will I actually need a table saw? And a router?

If you carry on this DIY route, madness goes there, =P~ but seriously you will eventually want the convenience of a table saw and router/table if you are going to make any type of stile and rail panel doors for the cupboards and wardrobes, but in the first instance a decent track saw will suffice to cut up sheet goods and the occasional cross cut, I have this cheap Rutlands one: http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... nds+xt3516 it does what its meant for, also look at this thread: rutlands-plunge-saw-t108210.html

Mike

As the per the last advice track saw will allow you to turn sheets into components for your projects and get them
cut accurately , they are available now from many sources like screwfix and even Lidl who sell the cheapest when its available , a table saw takes a lot of space and is much more difficult to get good results on a budget .
What you will need is a sturdy flat bench/table to cut/layout/build your projects - and this would make a good first project - a torsion box type bench/table is a good example of a light but strong bench that you could adapt to your needs and would be great practice for your future projects.
Google torsion box bench for ideas.

jaguar999":3r0z7673 said:
Please advice what should I buy (on a budget)
1. MacAllister used but in pristine condition for just £28
2. Well used Makita circular saw for £50.
I’d get the makita unless it really is in very bad condition, it will be much better made. Always avoid the B&Q diy machinery if you can, they build them like ice cream tubs.

finish_that":2ahggo6n said:
What you will need is a sturdy flat bench/table to cut/layout/build your projects - and this would make a good first project

I made this pretty cheaply (pics at bottom), the main section is a single sheet of 18mm ply, 1220 x 610 that I cut into 3 strips and then cut one of those in half. Cut out the centres of the edge bits, used one of those to brace the centre. That bit was £17 from B&Q. The sides are glued but the top and bottom are only screwed on so that I can replace them. After a minor cutting accident you can see where I cut the corner, I got a sheet of 25mm mdf that I can slide on top and cut into that instead of the bench. Overall it's very light indeed. I have to work outside and this is stored upstairs in a spare room. I can carry it with no problems. Storage is really useful when working on stuff. I can bring tools out and put them in there out of the way and get them as I need them.

The legs were made from bits I had but work surprisingly well. Whole thing took less than an afternoon to sort (once I'd gathered stuff together) and was made using a Titan track saw from Screwfix (£99) , a Bosch PST700E jigsaw (£40), a Ryobi one+ drill/driver (£99 - special deal included battery + charger) , oh and a Katsu trim router (£38). Screws are drywall ones (£3 for 1000).

If I were to do it again I wouldn't use a trim router and round over the cut outs I'd just knock the edges off with a sanding block. Mine are rounded over and it makes clamping things straight awkward.

I'm a total n00b at this woodworking lark, so honestly, anyone can make this easily.

bmw.png

bmw-legs.png

Thanks you so much for all your advise.
The makita deal didnt happen.
I ended up buying a used Dewalt Dwe650 circular saw.

Back