Which router cutter please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I like to buy a radiused router cutter to round the corners off my intarsia pieces of hardwood, at the moment I'm using a cheap one from a box of 10 assorted cutters that cost £7.99 or there abouts. The cost of a new cutter isn't a major hurdle (within reason - upto £100?) The one I'm using at the mo chipped a pieces off one of the pieces so I have to make a new one. Does speed effect the type of wood I use? I'm using 100% hardwood at the mo and would say the radius at present is 1/4" +/- 1/32". (Oh - my router is upside down in my router table too.)

Can any one point me in the right direction, with regard to supplier, size, material and speed please. (and anything else also)

thanks

Gary

Thanks for the links guys, I'll check them out, I recall hearing of Wealdons in the past. The shapes that I cut are varied, the one that chipped was a slim leaf shape approximately 2" long x 3/4" wide x 3/4" depth, which was routed all around it's circumference. As you look down on the cutter, it spins anti clockwise so I fed the wood at the 6 o'clock position from right to left.

Gary

PS I've gone for a large Ovelo round over from Wealdons, thanks guys

You are feeding it the right way but you have to take into account the grain direction and type of wood. If the grain dives into the wood in the direction you are cutting it can pull it out. I recently had the same problem putting a chamfer onto the edge of a piece of oak.

Back