Which random orbit sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm after some advice. I am looking to buy a random orbit sander for general diy use. I am not in the market for Festo or similarly priced kit, nor a cheapie, so I was thinking of a Makita. The problem is, which one? They make a B06030 for £115, a B05031 for £84.96 and a B05041 for £98.95 - all Axminster prices. I like the idea of the extra handle so the £98 or £115 ones will be best. I know one is 5" and one is 6", but which to get?
Has anyone any experience of both, or any advice to offer?

I should add I already have a 3" belt sander (a bit harsh for finishing), an old 1/2 sheet multico in-line sander (very slow and only suitable for very final finishing), and a multi tool (OK for detail sanding).

K

graduate_owner":1gegb2yv said:
Hi all,
I'm after some advice. I am looking to buy a random orbit sander for general diy use. I am not in the market for Festo or similarly priced kit, nor a cheapie, so I was thinking of a Makita. The problem is, which one? They make a B06030 for £115, a B05031 for £84.96 and a B05041 for £98.95 - all Axminster prices. I like the idea of the extra handle so the £98 or £115 ones will be best. I know one is 5" and one is 6", but which to get?
Has anyone any experience of both, or any advice to offer?

I should add I already have a 3" belt sander (a bit harsh for finishing), an old 1/2 sheet multico in-line sander (very slow and only suitable for very final finishing), and a multi tool (OK for detail sanding).

K

If you want 125mm sander go for the bo5031 you have found ( but NOT from axminster as It's cheaper at other places, I have seriously started to dislike their company just because of their attitude and few dealings I had with them recently). Once you start to use it you will realise that you DO NOT want that handle at all that comes with the bo5041.
If you want 150mm sander ( 44% increase in area it covers VS 125mm sander) go for Metabo sxe450 instead of that makita as It's a much much much better sander for only about £10 more- Just make sure that it's the newer Turbotec model.

The Metabo SXE 450 seems to get great reviews. They do a 125mm version (SXE 425), but haven't seen much written about this model.

For 150mmv the Metabo is really good. Two settings to suit the work but be aware it is quite heavy - great for horizontal as the weight does the work but gets tiring overhead. I've had one for years and wouldn't dream of changing it.

For 125mm I bought a 2nd hand Festool - its very light and quiet. The makita units are good but pretty noisy I found.

One more vote for the Metabo 450 mine has worn out one set of brushes and is still going strong on the second set. The choice of two orbit sizes is much more useful than I thought.

How do you guys find the weight of the new turbotec sxe450 when working in weird places where you must hold it in hand and can't rest it on table? ( half a kilo lighter than the previous gen).
I need another sander myself as well, I have tried the older sxe450 and it was a serious heavy clunker but did a very good job.

TBH when it gets to one hand use I drop back to 125mm and suck up the time difference.

On a different note now that I think on it one thing I do regret is not buying the mirka pad savers - abranet does go for the velcro something chronic. I've just replaced the velcro on all my sanders but won't get away with it twice.

I researched the subject of which sander several years ago when I was shopping for my first R.O.S. Many on this forum recommended the Metabo SXE 450 TurboTec. I took that advice and have always been 100% happy with the choice and would buy the same again without a second thought. It's very effective, well balanced and the 150mm diameter is very welcome on larger areas. The removable front handle, which I have attached 99% of the time, makes using it very comfortable indeed, but the fact that it can be removed is useful when space is limited in awkward areas. Soon after I got the sander I heard about Mirka Abranet abrasive discs and haven't used anything else since, excellent abrasive IMO. A pad saver is a worthwhile purchase too.
You certainly won't be disappointed with the Metabo.

graduate_owner":2yao0fm3 said:
I was thinking of a Makita. The problem is, which one? They make a B06030 for £115, a B05031 for £84.96 and a B05041 for £98.95 - all Axminster prices. I like the idea of the extra handle so the £98 or £115 ones will be best. I know one is 5" and one is 6", but which to get?

If you're sanding overhead then get the smallest lightest one, if you're sanding boards that are laying flat on your bench then weight is your friend, so get the biggest heaviest one.

I researched and looked at prices..was going to buy the Metabo. as had great reviews...however took a very deep plunge and bought the Mirka 5650...probably overkill but had a little windfall before xmas. so treated myself..awaiting arrival......dust, noise and quality were deciding factors

Initially the sander will be needed for vertical surfaces such as architrave, skirtings and wood cladding, possibly up to head-level, but I am not expecting much actual overhead work. After the house maintenance aspect, it will get used for general finishing of diy projects, probably on a workbench so the weight aspect won't be an issue then.

By the way, what is a saver pad?

K

Saver pad is only if you use mirka abranet - its like a mesh and its really good for dust extraction. Unfortunately the velcro kind of pokes through and gets sanded away - eventually your sandpaper no longer sticks. Those pads are really pretty expensive. The saver pad sits in between and stops it being worn away.

About 25 years ago I bought a top of the line Bosch RO sander, cost something like £200, it was back in the dealer getting a warranty repair every other week (seriously). A friend recommended a Festo RO150E which cost a massive £398 back then, it got hammered to death every day in our busy shop for years before I sold up. I still use that same sander on a regular basis with no issues at all other than having to replace the pad every now and then. However last week the little green switch top broke , so Tuesday morning I called Festool spares to see if they still stocked these and surprise yes they do, how many would I like! So I asked for two just in case, the cost? Not a penny, Posted from Germany FOC. Festool may be expensive but that sander was an absolute bargain, if I needed another Festool would be the only make on my shopping list so pleased have I been with it

I just ordered this Ryobi 125mm sander for £40
https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-367415/ryo ... ander.html
seems very light, has variable speed, good dust extraction port, had a look at its brother at B&Q and the quality seemed rather good,backing pad also seemed of good quality, watched some Youtube videos where they take one apart and commented that it's a very solid tool.
I was looking for a new sander myself since I have sold my old good gear now as I'm cutting down on the work I do only to DIY so I already knew what You should look for in a sander, and this one didn't looked any worse than the 2x higher priced makita :)

Back