Which ones (if any) of these sentences are true?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big soft moose":1ijlu6qk said:
lying on padding or a fat gett might help a bit but realistically you are pineappled whatever you do.

Not so - did you not hear of the skydiver who had a first timer strapped to his back? Main parachute failed, as did the emergency. He deliberately rolled in the air so that he hit the ground first. He died, first timer survived.

Cheers

Karl

So what is the final conclusion on the plane thing?
As I see it a Harrier jet requires a couple of ground crew to give the wheels a spin to make it move forwards after vertical take off is that right?

Tom K":3ejv3cdp said:
So what is the final conclusion on the plane thing?
As I see it a Harrier jet requires a couple of ground crew to give the wheels a spin to make it move forwards after vertical take off is that right?

It takes off. And the ground crew on the Harrier get incinerated.

considering the fact that we have roughly 7 billion people on this earth and comes with that all the machinery houses etc etc.

Is the earth heavier, lighter or the same weight than what it was 200 years ago?

mark270981":lx72ytkj said:
considering the fact that we have roughly 7 billion people on this earth and comes with that all the machinery houses etc etc.

Is the earth heavier, lighter or the same weight than what it was 200 years ago?

the planet its self is probably slightly lighter because although the population has increased the food to make the peoples bodies came from the earth (principally), as did the materials to build houses machinery etc.

however in doing all this we have also mined and burned a lot of mineral resources some of which have thus realsed to the atmosphere as gas.

However the weight of the earth in toto , including the atmospheric ball will be mostly unchanged

Hi,

Well I suppose all the matter that has been burnt and turned into heat and radiated out in to space makes the earth lighter.

Pete

Benchwayze":1xofy4jz said:
Pete is right.

If you run fast enough, you can run up a downward moving escalator. (And vice versa)

So it boils down to how much power you can apply I guess.

Right?

Not in the case of the plane, no.

The conveyor CANNOT apply a force to the aircraft - it just spins the wheels.

Meanwhile the aircraft "grips" (so to speak) the air (using propellor or jet) and pulls itself along, and takes off.

The normal case of a treadmill (where you propel yourself by working against the treadmill surface) creates such a strong image in your mind that it's hard to shake it.

BugBear

mark270981":yunae9br said:

Heavier, from accumulated metorites, I think.

The only thing leaving the earth would be some atmosphere. Radiation of EM particles ain't gonna be a factor against those.

Man's activities just shuffle the arrangement of atoms that are already here.

BugBear

Racers":182ajz7d said:
Hi,

Well I suppose all the matter that has been burnt and turned into heat and radiated out in to space makes the earth lighter.

Pete

Thankfully very little matter has been turned into heat. That requires a process that is ... quite unusual on the Earth.

I think this thread has thrown some of the confident scientific assertions and opinions in the global warming discussions into quite an interesting light.

BugBear

Yes, the earth as a total system is heavier and getting heavier. But not by much as a percentage of the total.

We lose light elements from the atmosphere (helium mostly, hydrogen is too reactive to escape) and radioactive elements lose mass when they decay. We have put a few thousand tons of stuff into space over 50 years.

All of that is dwarfed by the incoming mass from micro meteorites.

Also space aliens. :shock:

Racers":3piuuqno said:
Hi,

Pete

The earth is considerably lighter as a result of losing all the hot air that this forum generates :lol:

RogerS":1uqh4ip2 said:
Racers":1uqh4ip2 said:
Hi,

Pete

The earth is considerably lighter as a result of losing all the hot air that this forum generates :lol:

No - that's continuously recycled. Round and round and round and round. Very eco-friendly.

BugBear

I'm surprised the old chestnut of the bullet being fired on the plane (not on a treadmill) hasn't come up yet.

If a tree falls in a forest with no one there to hear it , does it make a sound ? :lol:

i reckon the answer is the

same minus all the satellites and anything else we have thrown into space.

right i haven't done my experiment yet, however i am to change my stance and say the plane takes off.

NOW NOEL cooey over here can we delete this thread like we spoke about whilst i eat my humble pie.

Back