Which mini powerdriver/drill ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
My wonderful wife would like to buy me one of those baby drill drivers. You know, those 4.8V or there abouts thingies. Which one should she get? Is there a particular type of battery to look out for? Is a faster RPM better for drilling, bearing in mind the drill bits will only be small?

e.g.- In Screwfix there is a Ryobi 4.8V, and a Metabo 4.8V screwdriver.

The Ryobi has:- Auto spindle lock; 12 torque settings; forward & reverse; battery; 3 hour charger; carry case; no load speed 300rpm. Comes with, 16 screwdriver bits; 7 drill bits; 7 extension bits.

The Metabo has:- Variable & reverse; 1x1.25Ah Ni-Cd battery; 1hr 45min charger; 5 torque settings; soft start; cardboard carry case; no load speed 0-230rpm; max torque 3.5Nm soft, 5Nm hard.

So, you know the drill, pardon the pun. What is your opinion? (Not just of the two above). What do you recommend? Do you own this type of thing, and is it any good?

We really do need you advice on this one.

We appreciate all input.

Gary..I've just ordered the Metabo...I seem to remember it getting favourable write-ups. Like the fact it comes with two batteries and a short charge time. I looked at the Bosch and that took 3 hours (!!) to charge. Way too long IMO.

Roger

I don't know if it is any use to you but I have the Bosch IXO screwdriver for confined spaces. It has a Lithium Ion battery and will stay charged for a long time, no memory, can be left on charge without any porblems and is always ready for use. With Ni Cad or NiMha batteries they must be completely discharged before re-charging or they run the risk of developing a memory. Hope this is of help. :wink:

NiMha batteries generally do not suffer from memory problems.
If you're looking for a proper small driver I'd suggest the Bosch GSR 10.8V-LI Screwdriver , here
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... ilter_cat=££206820&manufacturer_id=Bosch&name=&user_search=&sfile=1&jump=12

I found the Metabo waaay too big to grip comfortably (sent it back) and for little money more the Bosch is 3 times the tool. 30 min charger with the Li-Ion batteries x 2 and tons of torque, nice, light and compact.

mailee":1fzqcb7o said:
I don't know if it is any use to you but I have the Bosch IXO screwdriver for confined spaces. It has a Lithium Ion battery and will stay charged for a long time, no memory, can be left on charge without any porblems and is always ready for use. With Ni Cad or NiMha batteries they must be completely discharged before re-charging or they run the risk of developing a memory. Hope this is of help. :wink:

I bought the IXO a few weeks ago and I think it is ok, but (there is always a but) there is no easy way to use it as a drill. You can fit a quick change type drill bit (with a hex shaft) and drill a hole but the drill bit is not secured in the bit holder so it is difficult to get it out again. Useful for confined spaces though, which is why I bought it.

Yes I do see your point George, it doesn't make for a very good drill. I also bought mine for confined spaces where it is worth it's weight in gold.

I would like to thank those of you who have replied. You have supplied some useful information, but I must admit I was expecting a better response. I take it there are fewer of these mini drill/drivers out there then I first thought.

What I am really after is a mini drill that I can also use as a screwdriver . Is there not one that has a normal chuck that will hold drill bits. Also that you could insert a quick release chuck that would hold the screwdriver bits?

Sorry if I haven't been clear, but I am finding it hard to explain what I am looking for. There doesn't seem to be much information on the web that I have been able to find.

There doesn't seem to be anything out there worth getting at the moment.

Thanks again for your information.

Gary

Have thought about using an impact drier with a small chuck with a release chuck fitting.
If you are not sure what I mean, I can take a pic for you :)

With this set up I can drill 6mm holes but have used the impact driver to drill holes a little bigger.

Thanks Colin. A picture would be helpful. By the way, are we still talking about the very small type of drill/driver thingy, or is this an idea of yours?

Colin.
A picture would be good.
Big-Thumbs-Up.gif

I have one of these
chuck1.jpg

chuck2.jpg

It takes a drill up to 6mm, but for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it (Axminster I think) as I've had it for about 5 years.

If I can remember where it came from I'll post back.

I got mine from one of the carboots near me but I think you can get them from Axminster, Tilgear ( I know do them )

Here are the picture of my impact driver with the drills ( it is 164mm at the top )
RIMG0171-1.jpg

I have also just drilled a 13mm hole with the bit that is in it :)

I have the metabo one and it is exactly what you need as it comes with
a chuck for drilling as well as an angled screwdriving attachment.
I also have a couple of impact drivers one makita and one elu they are
both excellent but not what you are after.

Mike

I have the metabo

I see that has a 4.8v NiCD battery.

Is it powerful enough? and how long does the battery last?
An earlier post said that some types of battery suffer memory problems - what yours like?

Hi I have the metabo with the chuck I find it very good for the lighter jobs were you do not want the weight of a larger drill. I do not know what you want to use it for but if it is for light work light flat pack and things like that it is ideal . It is very good for getting into tight spaces. It feels a bit awkward when you first use it but I would recommend it as a very good bit of kit.

Cheers Phil.

Latest posts

Back