Which lathe chuck to begin with?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arutha

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have any chuck in my lathe, but would like to buy one. I'm not sure, however, what I need.

I've looked at the Axminster Evolution chuck, which I've heard is quite good.
However, my problem is that I don't know what kind of chuck is the right one for me.

Right now, there are two times I feel that just a face plate and drive center, like I have, is not enough.

1) When I make tool handles, it would be nice to be able to hold the tool handle in a chuck, so that I can drill the hole for the tang. I solve this by drilling by hand (holding the handle in one hand, and the cordless drill in another). Works, but not ideal.

2) When turning bowls, it would help to be able to grip the bowl to have full access to the inside, as well as being able to grip from the inside of the bowl to finish the foot of the bowl. I manage without a chuck today, by using the face plate, and various jigs I make up, but I think a chuck would make things easier.

I understand the evolution chuck would work for problem no 2, but will it also work for gripping tool handles, or would I need another chuck for this? If so, which chuck would that be?

Hi Arutha,
There are many chucks on the market that come with numerous types of interchangeable jaws to suit many holding applications.
I have a Supernova chuck and have purchased additional jaws over years. I have had no problems at all with the chuck and it is one that I would recommend.

As with most tools you get what you pay for and I would certainly go for quality no matter what chuck you choose.

Regards

Vic

I also have the supanova which is extremely well regarded. Record Power are doing a promotion of it right now according to an e mail I got yesterday. It comes with the 2 inch jaws and pin jaws. Also the staggeringly useful woodwork screw which I use a lot for medium sized bowl outside turning. Then flip it over with the 2" inch jaws and hollow the inside...piece of cake...no jigs needed.

You will need to specify the tpi and Morse taper of your spindle for the changeable insert to connect it

Arutha":1knyqbmn said:
I don't have any chuck in my lathe, but would like to buy one. I'm not sure, however, what I need.
What lathe do you have and what is the spindle thread ?
Are you likely to change your lathe in the near future?
Answers to the above will help point you to options.

Arutha":1knyqbmn said:
1) When I make tool handles, it would be nice to be able to hold the tool handle in a chuck, so that I can drill the hole for the tang. ......
Immediate suggestion on that score is to drill the hole in the end of the blank before you start, then align the drilled hole on a revolving tailstock centre whilst you shape handle and fit ferrule, might ease things until you get a chuck. Alternates are to use a hollow ring tailstock centre and bore the hole through the tailstock. (long handles will not be very stable for drilling held in a chuck alone)

All currently available 4 jaw scroll chucks will allow basic holding for such things as bowls, the variety of auxiliary jaws available for the various brands being the determining factor on versatility.

Two Brands/Systems that give a good range of auxiliary jaws are:-
  • The Axminster Range (all jaws are compatible across the range)
    The Versa chuck from The Toolpost, (easily changed lathe spindle fitting if changing lathes and jaw carriers available to take auxiliary jaws from a whole variety of brands)
If Auxiliary Jaw range is not a prime requirement then any that give you a 50-60mm internal/external dovetail set and a decent screw chuck insert will cover a broad range of basic bowl type configurations.

CHJ":2yppymps said:
Arutha":2yppymps said:
What lathe do you have and what is the spindle thread ?
Are you likely to change your lathe in the near future?
Answers to the above will help point you to options.
I have a used Lennartsfors lathe. I've heard they were good quality lathes that are no longer produced.
The spindle thread is M24x3, but I've found an adapter to M33x3.5 which I believe is more usual.

I don't believe I'm going to change the lathe, as I'm quite happy with it. But still, it's a good idea to be able to use the chuck on another lathe, should I choose to replace it later on.

CHJ":2yppymps said:
Arutha":2yppymps said:
1) When I make tool handles, it would be nice to be able to hold the tool handle in a chuck, so that I can drill the hole for the tang. ......
Immediate suggestion on that score is to drill the hole in the end of the blank before you start, then align the drilled hole on a revolving tailstock centre whilst you shape handle and fit ferrule, might ease things until you get a chuck.

That's something I should try when I make the next tool handle. That would actually make the chuck unnecessary for making tool handles. :D

Arutha":rq0vzr0b said:
...........The spindle thread is M24x3, but I've found an adapter to M33x3.5 which I believe is more usual.
Yes M33x3.5 is the way to go for modern European market machines and accessories.

The only limitation being that the majority of chucks, not using an ISO backplate, have to be threaded specifically for this thread due to the dimensions of the chuck core, therefore there is little respectable backward compatibility for use on lathes with smaller spindles by changing adaptors, you are lucky if you have managed to obtain such an adaptor collar that does not throw the chuck way forward of the spindle nose.

CHJ":1ov8w7sb said:
Arutha":1ov8w7sb said:
...........The spindle thread is M24x3, but I've found an adapter to M33x3.5 which I believe is more usual.
Yes M33x3.5 is the way to go for modern European market machines and accessories.

The only limitation being that the majority of chucks, not using an ISO backplate, have to be threaded specifically for this thread due to the dimensions of the chuck core, therefore there is little respectable backward compatibility for use on lathes with smaller spindles by changing adaptors, you are lucky if you have managed to obtain such an adaptor collar that does not throw the chuck way forward of the spindle nose.

Ok. I think my adapter should work well in this regard. Attaching an image.
8873873506334.jpg

Attachments

• 8873873506334.jpg
    8873873506334.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,343
I bought a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck from Peter Childs with an insert 24x3. That way you can just buy different inserts if you want to use it on another lathe.

Regards
Peter

12345Peter":2r8gydv5 said:
I bought a Robert Sorby Patriot chuck from Peter Childs with an insert 24x3. That way you can just buy different inserts if you want to use it on another lathe.

Regards
Peter

With one limiting proviso, which is applicable to most chucks that use an insert adaptor for the majority of the range.
Toolpost/Sorby":2r8gydv5 said:
The exception to this is in the case of the larger diameter threads (such as M33 x 3.5 mm and 1.1/2" x 6 tpi) for which the chuck is normally direct-threaded

CHJ":33hxxpbe said:
With one limiting proviso, which is applicable to most chucks that use an insert adaptor for the majority of the range.
Toolpost/Sorby":33hxxpbe said:
The exception to this is in the case of the larger diameter threads (such as M33 x 3.5 mm and 1.1/2" x 6 tpi) for which the chuck is normally direct-threaded

I also have an exsert so that I can use the Patriot chuck on the Graduate lathe which is 1.1/2" x 6 tpi I don't know if there are inserts for the direct threaded chucks M33 x 3.5 mm and 1.1/2" x 6 tpi to fit other threads.

Regards
Peter

I've been looking at both the Supernova 2 and the Sorby Patriot chuck, and as far as I can see, both are well regarded.

I believe I would be happy with either one of them.

Right now, it looks like I'm going to order the Patriot chuck, as it's available from Classic Handtools, whom I've ordered from many times before (and am happy with the service).

I have had the patriot for a few years now and never had a problem with it....slowly building my collection of jaws for it, bowl reversing jaws arrive tomorrow!! Second best wood turning accessory i have purchased thus far, highly reccommended.

spinks":2nbgihzz said:
I have had the patriot for a few years now and never had a problem with it....slowly building my collection of jaws for it, bowl reversing jaws arrive tomorrow!! Second best wood turning accessory i have purchased thus far, highly reccommended.
And the best was?......

Although the patriot is a very good chuck I would take a very serious look at the versa chuck if I was you, it gives an awesome number of options further down the line for using an extremely wide variety of jaws from different makers, and in the end it is the jaws that do the work, take for example the sorby chucks heavy duty jaws, excellent for holding large bowls and hollow forms, but the axmister odonnel system is top notch for a wide variety of things and is very highly regarded by many on here, with the versa chuck you can fit both (not at the same time obviously!!)
You can also fit oneway jaws. This will really give you the widest number of chucking choices and although I don't own one (I would like too but money etc! (I own the patriot) ) and if you are thinking of owning just one chuck then I reckon Chas' advice is well worth considering.

Back