Which kind of grease?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EightBySix

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm working my way through a coffee table project, with a sliding leaf top. The leaves open automatically, or rather they will when its finished.
WP_000353.jpg

I just completed the mechanism that will sit below the table top halves and open and close them. Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/avnxcPZJ1Cg

Its basically a rotating threaded bar, with a captive nut. It works pretty well, but is way too noisy. I'm replacing the motor with a quieter one, but thought an additoinal step would be to grease the threaded bar, to reduce vibration.

So my question is - what kind of grease could I use to interface betwen metal and oak? Or rather it's metal against metal, but it will come into contact with the wood, and I dont want the wood to swell, etc.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• WP_000353.jpg
    WP_000353.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 824
Hi,

Candle wax would be a good place to start and its removable with some white sprit and shouldn't affect the finish or stain the oak.
Are you using stainless steel bolts/studding?

Pete

Racers":24nysjxj said:
Hi,

Candle wax would be a good place to start and its removable with some white sprit and shouldn't affect the finish or stain the oak.
Are you using stainless steel bolts/studding?

Pete

I did think of candlewax, but I wanted something that was, for the want of a better word, 'gloopy'. I want it to deaden rattling and vibration rather than lubricate...

I think the bolts are steel, with a zinc coating. I've read on here about oak reacting with iron - is that why you asked?

Yes I think you might get problems with the oak reacting.

I would hate to see the grease build up and get flung off on to your carpet, bet the wife would have something to say as well.

It didn't sound to bad in the video, it the mechanisim going to be boxed in? that would reduce the noise.

Pete

Thanks for the responses so far. I've got a 3 point plan to reduce the noise
Quieter motor
Rubber bushings/mounts etc
Grease

I'm going to have the mechanism enclosed anyway, to keep inquisitive little fingers away - which should protect me from grease flinging - but you're right I hadn't considered that.

I think I can mostly prevent wood/metal contact with the aforementioned mounts (and drinking straws fit perfectly over the threaded rod!)

I've a friend that has used 'marine grease' which looks like the type I'm looking for, but I dont know what would or wouldnt have an adverse reaction.
Also, paraffin wax is a no-no due to the presence of electrical equipment!

Latest posts

Back