Which is which?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ59

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound stupid :oops: :? but is a scroll saw and a fret saw one of the same thing??
Please laugh if you want to, I wont be offended :wink:

Russ

Hi Russ Welcome to the world of Fret / Scroll sawing.Them Americans have a lot to answer for,I suppose that it sounds a lot fancier than good old Fret sawing.welcome aboard.

Bryan

Thanks for that chaps :)
My brother gave me one about 6 years ago and when i closed my fibreglass business just after xmas I found it under a load of moulds when I was clearing my unit out so I gave it a try out on a scrap piece of board and was impressed how easy it was to use.
Well when I have sorted my shed/workshop out I will be having a good old practice with it.
What I'll make/use it for I don't yet know.

Russ

Good on you Russ ,I didn't have the guts to ask that question when I began( Fretting ?) :oops: :roll: . 66 yrs. ago when I first saw a mechanical saw which at that time was powered by peddles like the old singer sowing machines it was called a Fret saw . When I took it up last year it was scrolling and I never questioned it . I think from now on I will refer to myself as a Fretter, It has a nice ring to it I think
Boysie or Eugene the Fretter . :lol: :lol:

Hi Eugene I will go along with your suggestion,I suppose the hand FRET saw may have been the first.I may have been a little unkind to the people on the other side of the pond with my remarks.I have been very thankful for the patterns I have received from their magazines.

Bryan

Bryan Bennett":ui8dx1fg said:
Hi Eugene I will go along with your suggestion,I suppose the hand FRET saw may have been the first.I may have been a little unkind to the people on the other side of the pond with my remarks.I have been very thankful for the patterns I have received from their magazines.

Bryan

But were they not Fret saw patterns ?? .Surly they were otherwise you would not have bought them ,Right :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Eugene many years ago in the early 60's there was a weekly paper called Hobbies Weekly,it was from that I received the plans for the fort that I posted.They were plans for the fretsaw(Always Hobbies) now were the ashes from that era rebuilt to what it is today,the majority of the plans in the 2013 handbook have been the same for as long as I can remember.
Bryan

It's always been my understanding that fretwork refers to pierced cuts whereas scrolls are sweeping external curves. Since modern saws can cut either style it doesn't matter if you call them fret saws or scroll saws.

Back