Which External Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just making the point that Everbuild UF is perfectly OK and has good open time, and that RF is expensive and doesn't fill gaps. I'm well aware that a bench doesn't live outside. I don't think I'd rely on any glue for a large gate anyway. I'd make sure the joints were mechanical or bolted.

Tight joints and pegs should be good enough with out any glue. I use dry oak pegs you can't get them out once they swell.

Pete

I'm new to this forum and have read your thread and replies with interest. I've used cascamite or Polymite over the years and have tried a myriad of other glues. However as per a previous reply, I keep going back to Resorcinol Resin which is a phenol resorcinol glue. My joinery has to survive very harsh Scottish island weather - and I mean very harsh wet weather, and I found that Resorcinol Resin is absolutely brilliant.

Gap filling glues? Largely hokum and not something you need to consider if you're making sound joints. Besides resorcinol glues DO having gap filling properties, you can also add fillers to to increase the effect. Resorcinol adhesives have been proven in the joinery and marine industry for over 70 years, if you want the best glue for a exterior job then that is what you use.

But like has been said dowels/wedges/bolts should be enough.

Latest posts

Back