Which end vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have lots of money then as I understand it the veritas QR one is the DBs. I went for the Veritas tail vice which as I recall was only about £50 from Axi - you then have to build the tail vice around it but end up with a very solid vice. I have never worried about the QR aspect of it - as long as you have enough dog holes the maximum I ever have to wind manually is 80mm. Just my h'appenyworth
Mark

paulc":tpxsxy96 said:
I'm looking to add a long overdue second vice to the end of my workbench.

Can anyone advise me as to the pros and cons of either model as well as whether I need a quick release vice and any other tips in picking and fitting a vice to the end of a workbench.

Cheers

I don't think QR is needed; end vices are normally used on long pieces being planed; it's normal that all the workpieces would be much the same length as each other.

Face vices to much more varied work, so QR is a benefit.

BugBear

bugbear":3w0pa0il said:
end vices are normally used on long pieces being planed; it's normal that all the workpieces would be much the same length as each other.

Face vices to much more varied work, so QR is a benefit.

BugBear

My experience is actually the opposite, so it's horses for courses and so on. In either case I don't miss having quick release :)

Expensive isn't always better.

Often is though, when you can afford it!

I agree you don't need to have an expensive end vise, but if I could justify it it (I can't!) I would love to have one of those Maguire ones, for several reasons....

Back