Which Compressor to accompany Axi nailers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to purchase the Axminster headless pinner & nailer, I don't really wanna spend too much on a compressor, Axi's cheap one here has mixed reviews, one guy says it's too noisy, one guy says nice and quiet?? So has anyone used any of the Axy ones? Can someone recommend a different brand/ make of compressor? I've looked @ Bostitch and they LOOK like good bit o' kit. And finally do I need any adaptors to make connection from compressor>hose>nailer?

Sorry for all the questions, but am new to this AIR lark! :)

Cheers in advance _Dan.

Dan,

Any compressor will work for those two guns as they take very little air. I have no experience of the Axi brand of air tools, all mine are Bostitch.
You will need a ready made hose with PLC fittings like no.200149 in the AXI book or make one up with no's. 100349, 100311 and 100314. You will also need some PTFE tape to wrap the threads with when you connect the hose to the fittings.

Steve.

Cheers Steve,

I really want something as quiet as possible, Bostitch do 'Silent' compressors, but they're 300L! I don't need anywhere near that much capacity. But then I don't really want one intended for site use as I imagine they'll be mega loud. I've enquired with Axi, but got no response as yet. If anyone else has any experience with Bostitch compressors please let me know, as I need it to be as quiet as possible for a home workshop. I suppose I could suppress the noise with some sort of cabinet, as long as there's sufficient air intake available.

Cheers _Dan.

I've got a small Bambi compressor, which isn't much noisier than our fridge.
Downside is that it wasn't cheap, but that wasn't an issue when I bought it.
It's only got a fairly low air delivery, but is fine for the Axminster nailer.

Yeah, bit pricey there Pete! I was looking at £100-£200ish mark. We'll see though, as I just saved a bundle on a P/T, so have a bit more of a budget maybe.

Would this Makita one be adequate for the nailer & pinner in question? I don't know much about the pressure needed but the 2 nailers don't need any more than 95psi, the compressor does up to 116psi. It doesn't say if it's oil lubricated or not.

Cheers _Dan.

Yes that Makita compressor will be fine.

As with most nail guns you will find you can use less air pressure than the maximum stated on the gun. With the low air needed for the pinner and 18 guage guns a pressure between 60-90 psi could be enough to fire the gun, maybe lower even. I know with the Bostitch guns they recommend using the lowest pressure that will drive the nail so as to reduce the strain on the parts and prolong the working life.

Reducing the pressure to the gun also gives more shots per tank full of air.

Steve.

Unless they are specifically designed to be quiet (like the Bambi) , all compressors are noisy. But remember that for pinning etc - especially light duty work - they are only going to fire up very very occasionally.

DAN hope you havent bought it yet as I have another option for you the Senco PC1010 its tiny but it will easily run those two nailers and its extremely quiet and the best quality one ive ever seen. I would have bought one myself but it wouldnt be any good for my large nailers and it only comes in 240v I use 110v for site use. I just got a new one this morning funny enough a Bostitch 110v carry compressor.

Heres the Senco if you can take a look at one you will see how well made they are

741474402586.jpg

available here http://www.bunnysbolts.co.uk/senco

this is the one ive just bought but its more money and you wouldnt need it

p4785191_l.jpg

Cheers Chippy, but yeah, unfortunately I've already bought it. I'll see if they will cancel the order. Should do as it's the weekend :) That Senco does look like a decent bit of kit, it doesn't need to be mega small, but it's an advantage, it's for workshop use not site so won't have to fit into anything for transport.

Thanks again mate _Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":38ckg00d said:
Cheers Chippy, but yeah, unfortunately I've already bought it. I'll see if they will cancel the order. Should do as it's the weekend :) That Senco does look like a decent bit of kit, it doesn't need to be mega small, but it's an advantage, it's for workshop use not site so won't have to fit into anything for transport.

Thanks again mate _Dan.

I dont think you will regret it I got them to run it in the shop and I couldnt believe how quiet it was. I dont think many people sell them in the UK but there is a Senco guy who posts on here so they are quiet helpful. I can recommend Bunnys bolts too they are a good dealer I have bought Festool kit off them in the past .

I too am looking for a compressor as my old one has just died. I like the look of the bostitch one, have you used it yet Chippy ? if so is it any good ?. it looks like the ones from screwfix if it is the same it seems to fit what I need but I haven't seen one yet so would welcome comments.
Thanks , Richard

Latest posts

Back