Which (cheap!) wood to use for a bed ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kane

Established Member
Reaction score
Planning on a loft bed for my 12 year old as my first real build, based on this :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1HRFbnHUog

Which cheap(ish) timber would you suggest - for the stuff I've thrown together in the past the banana pine from B&Q has been fine .... the bed in the video uses Western Spruce (they're based in the US), any suggestions for timber readily available in the UK would be appreciated :)

Hi Kane,

I wouldn't use 'cheap' timber at all.

If you are going for softwood, I would suggest Douglas Fir. It looks quite good, is medium in price, and it is strong enough for the job. The next alternative would be Southern Yellow Pine, for the same reasons; except it will be slightly less expensive.
The least expensive hardwood I have found available near to me is American Ash. I haven't tried it yet, but I am told it isn't a breeze to work.
(I shall use it for my kitchen 'cos that's what SWIMBO wants.)

The other alternative for the bed could be MDF on a sound framework, with one of the better pines used for weight-bearing components.

If you have to resort to 'ordinary' pine, then try to buy the quality that is approved for use as builders' planks as used with scaffolding.

HTH

Regards
John :)

PS: The timber in the video looks very much like Southern Yellow Pine and I'd say it's the ticket in the thicknesses used there.

John

Should have qualified the "cheap" with "suitable for the purpose" lol :) appreciate the info ....

Kane":1y12ibzn said:
Should have qualified the "cheap" with "suitable for the purpose" lol :) appreciate the info ....

My pleasure and I know about fit for purpose and fit for purse!

I've been there.

Regards
John :)

Hey.

When I made this bed for a friend I used B&Q's 'Professional grade' timber.

Not sure how 'professional' it actually is, but it's much better quality than the 'banana pine' that they usually sell. Worked really nicely and was good and straight.

As far as I know, they only stock it at the 'warehouse' stores as opposed to their smaller ones.

HTH.

edit: tried to post a link to the timber but I can't seem to get it to work :?. It's on the B&Q website under 'Professional timber' anyway.

Nice looking bed Pren, I'm planning on knocking up a shelf unit sort of thing using the same general design as the loft bed (scaled down of course :)) before going for the bed build so I'll try the B&Q Pro stuff for that as a test ...

Latest posts

Back