Which cheap bench drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac80

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All

Now that i have a scroll saw on the way i need to get myself a small bench drill for drilling inside cuts on thin aluminium metal, coins and wood., Smaller the machine the better really.

Going to get one from machine mart as i was lucky enough to get a 15% voucher from UKWorkshop member "megga" thanks mate :)

Only want to spend about £100 ish..

What do you all think of this one?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... rill-press
or
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... pillar-dri

They have different style of chuck tapers which means little to nothing to me!

also looking at this vice...
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -press-vic

Any comments on the above machines appreciated :0
Thanks

wizard":1a112d6f said:
You wouldn’t like my comment on Clarke drills, glade to see the back of mine
:lol: :lol:

Yep but i'm on a budget here lol. It won't get heavy usage ad i do plan on a metal drill / mill in the future that i will convert to CNC.

Aren't all these drills pretty much from the same Chinese factory anyway?

If all you want to do is drill entry holes for your scroll saw blade for internal cuts you would be hard pushed to find any drill that won't do that.

powertools":25gw8ehw said:
If all you want to do is drill entry holes for your scroll saw blade for internal cuts you would be hard pushed to find any drill that won't do that.

Yep, So i just ordered the cheapest one i could find. :oops: :)

I have had nowt but probs with clarke stuff, got my money back on both items and brought axy even though it was more, so i avoided clarke when i wanted a drill like you for simple work and i brought a sliverline one off of bay for £59, i have been very happy with it so far as it has done all i asked of it.

bernienufc":35d601ls said:
I have had nowt but probs with clarke stuff, got my money back on both items and brought axy even though it was more, so i avoided clarke when i wanted a drill like you for simple work and i brought a sliverline one off of bay for £59, i have been very happy with it so far as it has done all i asked of it.

Funny you should say the Silverline one... :lol: :lol:

Couldn't bring myself to get the Clarke after a bit of research so got the cheap silverline one from amazon for £56 delivered :oops: :D

It's only for a hole here and a hole there so hopefully will stand up to it.. Amazon are very good with returns and if you register with silverline within 30 days you get a 3 year warranty.
However good the warranty is remains to be seen.

Thanks for the input guys.

I sell quite a lot of them and have no complaints, i have one myself too - but i fitted a bigger motor to drill large dianeter holes in metals with out havin to go through multiple drill sizes

I'm ashamed to admit I have one or two silverline pieces of kit and despite trying to hate them....they have actually worked out OK. The best is a chainsaw grinder. It was about £24 and though as flimsy as hell....once screwed to a clampable base it's absolutely brilliant. So cheap isn't always completely useless :)

tool-me-up":2nh06k8v said:
I sell quite a lot of them and have no complaints, i have one myself too - but i fitted a bigger motor to drill large dianeter holes in metals with out havin to go through multiple drill sizes

Clarke or Silverline?

The Silverline are much better than the Clarke.

Oh, btw. You really should be drilling metals in steps rather than just punching through with the large bit straight away :wink:

MMUK":2aygmn1q said:
You really should be drilling metals in steps rather than just punching through with the large bit straight away

Hi

If your machinery and clamping will allow you should aim to only use the drill size equivalent to the desired hole - an exception may be made for large diameter drilling where a pilot hole may be appropriate.

Drilling holes in stages should only be carried out if the machinery in use does not have the capacity to do it in one - which in this case is probably what MMUK is referring to.

Regards Mick

Spindle":1zhka2o9 said:
MMUK":1zhka2o9 said:
You really should be drilling metals in steps rather than just punching through with the large bit straight away

Hi

If your machinery and clamping will allow you should aim to only use the drill size equivalent to the desired hole - an exception may be made for large diameter drilling where a pilot hole may be appropriate.

Drilling holes in stages should only be carried out if the machinery in use does not have the capacity to do it in one - which in this case is probably what MMUK is referring to.

Regards Mick

Anything over 5/16" should be piloted unless you have a dedicated machine centre with proper milling cutters :) Using larger bits from the off just puts extra wear on the bits and strain on the drilling machine.

Jmac80":a9nl8nep said:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cdp5rb-5-speed-bench-mounted-pillar-dri

I have an older version of that and I don't have any problems with it.

MMUK":a9nl8nep said:
Anything over 5/16" should be piloted unless you have a dedicated machine centre with proper milling cutters :) Using larger bits from the off just puts extra wear on the bits and strain on the drilling machine.

+1. I've also read that if you use an intermediate drill that is slightly smaller than the desired size, then drill out with the correct size you get a cleaner and more accurately sized hole.

Sorry for late reply, internet has been playing up.

Silverline drills I was referring too.

I removed the motor on my personal one and replaced with a 1hp 3 phase unit with a nice little digital control box.
The largest holes ive drilled so far are 25mm in steel , so i used a 6mm to pilot it then just went straight to 25mm with a couple of g clamps securing the drilling vice - that motor has some serious torque so if it did nip up I wouldn't stand a chance keeping a one handed grip of it.

Before I swapped the motor I gave up at 20mm and broke out the SDS+ drill and finished them with that - the original motor just didn't have the torque - didnt expect it too either its a hobby drill - but silverline drill + free 3-phase and controller = 1 hp fairly accurate pillar drill for under £60!

In standard trim I would say if the bits are sharp and your careful with it the max you can do is around 16mm in steel 13mm is more reasonable and just requires sharp bits and bit of patience - if you pull down too hard you will cut too deep and the motor will struggle.

You do get a more accurate hole if you use a drill size a couple of mm smaller than finished but I wasn't needing that amount of accuracy - when I do I use a few clamps, center drills and go in stages to avoid the bit bouncing or wobbling as it starts to get a purchase on the last hole drilled.

tool-me-up":3056m1n2 said:

EE broadband by any chance? :roll: Mom and dad's internet is pineapple me off royally at the moment :evil: May have to buy them Virgin Fibre Optic soon :mrgreen:

MMUK":avjae8xt said:
tool-me-up":avjae8xt said:

EE broadband by any chance? :roll: Mom and dad's internet is pineapple me off royally at the moment :evil: May have to buy them Virgin Fibre Optic soon :mrgreen:
TalkTalk - I got a letter a couple of weeks saying sorry I was leaving blah blah someone else is taking my line - if i changed my mind ring this number.
SO I rang, explained no one was moving out or in and I didnt want any changes to be made at all. I made this VERY clear especially as I had just paid a bill.

Few days later a sky box comes in the post right address wrong name - by a mile too not like a typo.

I just flung it in the corner thinking someone will probably knock for it - neighbor or whatever.

Today my net goes off totally when i woke up it was off....

foned talk talk - bill due few days ago - no red letter yet so they seemed fairly unconcerned - paid it up in full went out expecting net back on when got home....

10pm tonight still no net - so started to wonder......

SO just out of interest ( as all us men do) I plugs in this other guys sky box that arrived the other week and bang i'm online again - using equipment ive never ordered, seen or even inquired about ....

So talk talk will be in for it tomorrow - I run an online business how can I do that when they P about with my net and let other companies take over the line when clearly instructed not too!
The sky isnt even in my name so they can just go forth - im not even contacting them to say no one in that name lives here or has asked for their services.

Hi Jmac,

Axminster have a sale on bench drills. There's one there with a £100 off , £320 down to £220 or thereabouts.

Cheers,

John

Bought a cheapo Silverline drill press from Amazon 2 years ago. It's heavy, sturdy and quiet, and it's never let me down.

I even built a wee drill press table for it with a simple pivot fence with stop blocks held in place by spring clamps. Works a treat.

Latest posts

Back