Which block plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L-N 60 1/2 does it for me.

I completely agree with Woden that the 140 would benefit from a redesign, though Thomas L-N tells me that the iron version flexes less than the bronze version.

David Charlesworth

It's nice to see this thread, as I have decided I've bought SWMBO enough presents lately and fettling up second hand planes is eating too much of my limited spare time, so I'm going to buy a new block plane. Based on what I've read here I think the Veritas Low Angle block plane sounds like a good bet.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best place to get one on this side of the pond?

Amazing how much mail this subject generates!.

Just a couple of points. I bought my LH iron 140 from Axminster who will happily order it.

I dont think it substitutes or clashes with a 601/2. It is mainly for cheek trimming at which it excels and I have just finished some diagonal fielded panels where it was ideal for cleaning up the fieldings.

Being right handed I ordered a LH version to clean up tenon cheeks on my right hand side. ie the removeable side is on the left.

I agree with several above that the iron is both stiffer and leaves no marks rather than the bronze version.

Latest posts

Back