where's Wadkin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielhuw

Established Member
Reaction score
Their website has been disabled. I heard a rumour that they'd gone out of business. Anyone know the situation?

Dan[/url]

Are there still machines produced by the same old Wadkin company? Or is it like Startrite? Rubbish machines labelled with a name from the past?

motownmartin":3f5iowls said:
I think Dan means the company in Bardon Hill Leicestershire.

Try phoning them Dan, 01530 513500

Just tried the number and got a BT announcement, "This number temporarily out of order."

wizer":1r8s3ugv said:
Are there still machines produced by the same old Wadkin company? Or is it like Startrite? Rubbish machines labelled with a name from the past?

They've got/had an excellent service section. That's what I was after.

Dan

Thanks for the welcome, Mike. Don't know why I haven't found the forum sooner. Seems a like really good (virtual) place. Of course, I should really be sanding some drawer fronts, and getting a quote together for a client.

Dan

wizer":1x15dm1l said:
Are there still machines produced by the same old Wadkin company?

No
Or is it like Startrite? Rubbish machines labelled with a name from the past?

That's a bit unfair, they seem to badge engineer perfectly good European trade/industrial makes like SCM etc.

Not the same as making anything themselves, but better than re-branding the same old Chiwanese stuff based on 1950s US designs.

Whether paying the mark-up for the Startrite name is worthwhile is of course another question.

Jake":ioxbqk5d said:

Or is it like Startrite? Rubbish machines labelled with a name from the past?

That's a bit unfair, they seem to badge engineer perfectly good European trade/industrial makes like SCM etc.

Not the same as making anything themselves, but better than re-branding the same old Chiwanese stuff based on 1950s US designs.

I agree.
Startrite have some very good machines in their range, including, iirc, models from Rojek, MiniMax and they used to have a couple of Laguna bandsaws in the range as well.
No doubt there's some Chinese stuff in there as well, but, like the Quangsheng thread, if the quality is good, there shouldn't be a problem - IMHO.

cheers,
Andy

Laguna are badge-engineered ACMs, I think most of their bandsaws are still ACM.

I checked the "Contact Us" Page when I first saw this thread.

Wadkinmachinery.com & Wadkinmachinery.co.uk are part of

Woodworking Tooling & Machinery Ltd

Contact Name: Frank Neville

Telephone: 0161 652 2881
Fax: 0161 627 0999
Address: 19 Hutchins Lane
Oldham
OL4 2RF

E-Mail: [email protected]

V.A.T. No. 897 0856 63

Company Registration No 5927430

Mr Neville got the Wadkin web page a few years ago. no connection with the machinery people but gets lots of enquiries.

If you want spares you could do worse than Daltons in Nottingham. they had a pertnership deal with wadkin years ago.
0115 986 5201
Or even your local Machinery dealer.
most of the second hand guys have probably worked g=for Wadkin over th years

Matt_S":tyfs9zqc said:
Daniel, I can't help with your query but have just looked at the gallery on your website. Some lovely pieces on there.

Thanks, Matt. Very kind of you.

Dan

Sad to see Wadkins demise,used to be the best,but didn't keep up with times,like so many English firms.

Back