Where to get planer knives sharpened

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I live in north Surrey, can anyone suggest where I can take my planer knives to be proffesionally sharpened?

Failing that, I would be happy to post them off somewhere if it came recommended.

Mark

Hi - I use the sawrite company in littlehampton if you fancy a trip to the seaside.

I think you might be able to post stuff to them i'd give them a ring first - not got the number

The Saw Rite Company Ltd
Unit 12 Thorgate road
Lineside Industrial estate
Littlehampton
West Sussex
BN17 7LU

Or you could consider throwing away your old-fashioned, time-wasting existing blade system and invest in something like these !! :wink:

BARKE® - Throw-Away turnblades

sysbarkeEN_over.gif

I've fitted these to my Sedgwick. The economics are brilliant. I no longer have to faff around with resetting the blades everytime I need to get them resharpened.

Cuttingsolutions supplied me with mine. Highly recommended.

The Bear":3in8xcrq said:
Hi

I live in north Surrey, can anyone suggest where I can take my planer knives to be proffesionally sharpened?

Failing that, I would be happy to post them off somewhere if it came recommended.

Mark

Most saw doctors will do them for you. Look in paper yellow pages or EYP online.

Bob

RogerS":34f6cwdm said:
Or you could consider throwing away your old-fashioned, time-wasting existing blade system and invest in something like these !! :wink:

BARKE® - Throw-Away turnblades

sysbarkeEN_over.gif

I've fitted these to my Sedgwick. The economics are brilliant. I no longer have to faff around with resetting the blades everytime I need to get them resharpened.

Cuttingsolutions supplied me with mine. Highly recommended.

Hi Roger I could not find a price list, how much did you pay for yours? Do they do one for a 3 knife system? (Jet 54A)

Looking at it, it looks very much like the Elektra Beckum/Metabo disposable blade system, which has double sided blades, and once set the blades do not have to be reset, and new blades just drop in without the need to set them up.

http://www.powertoolspares.com/metabo-s ... es-431.php

If you explode the picture above 101 to 106 you will see what I mean

http://fc.zindel.de/scripts/CUWP_CGI.EX ... _zinfo.pdf

Or you might see it clearer if you go through the English part of the above manual. Do you think it is anyway near the same?
I use the Elektra Beckum HC260M just as a thicknesser and the Jet as my planer. So if it is the same I would only need to replace the Jet system.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3i5l08m8 said:
RogerS":3i5l08m8 said:
Not sure, Mike. Your best bet would be to contact Doug (CuttingSolutions) who gave me excellent service.

Will do :D

Cheers

Mike

I wonder could Doug post some more details of this system and the machines it is applicable to?

I have a Scheppach 3200 (a mere two-knife cutter block) and wonder whether the system could be fitted to that (and what the cost might be).

I truly hate the faff of refitting planer blades and as a result always put it off longer than I should.

cheers

MikeC
They are the same type of knife as the metabo system.
not sure if the metabo has the holder though.
you can see the system here
http://www.barke.de/web-content/eng/pdfENG/Barke-Messer EN.pdf
usually suited to blocks that have springs for setting the height....but not entirely.
they are suitable for machines with plain knives (no slots or fixing holes)
"just" suited to replace knives 25 mm high but normally replace 30 mm knives. all should be 3 mm thick or the seating capable of taking a 3 mm thick knife.....anyone using 2.5 mm needs to check carefully they will be able to go in.
its not always necassary to have the setting screws indicated in the page as you could fit your own and save a few pennies. once you set the screws to the correct height you never need to adjust them again. you could araldite a suitable screw in the hole in the bottom of the seating in the block
all I need to know then is the length of the knives.
I keep a couple of the very popular sizes in stock, which I will sell in the numbers required, otherwise I'm afraid I ask you to buy packs of 12 knives.
Doug

Crikey.
just looked on the powertool spares site for the price of the metabo ones :shock:

mine are nowhere near that price!
260 mm knives £9.00 each.
the metabo ones fit straight onto the wedge, which has locating pins....but there's something strange about it because you cant order them.....? special item?

Waka

I need to get the Dw733 thicknesser blades sharpened and will need the jet60A done in the near future.

Not got a lot of time now but will look at the disposable system in the next few days hopefully - an interesting idea I hadn't heard of.

Any other postal recommendations for bog standard sharpening? How much would be a ball park price to be done?

Mark

The Bear":1j5krutw said:
Waka

I need to get the Dw733 thicknesser blades sharpened and will need the jet60A done in the near future.

Not got a lot of time now but will look at the disposable system in the next few days hopefully - an interesting idea I hadn't heard of.

Any other postal recommendations for bog standard sharpening? How much would be a ball park price to be done?

Mark

Axminster have replacement knives for £35.

Thanks Pete, I know where to get "official" new blades. I was more interested in getting the old uns sharpened, and on my other thread in the buying forum, where to buy new none branded ones, as i think the dewalt ones are rather expensive. As said before though, I will have a look at this desposable system recommended here.

Mark

cutting solutions":1810rxcg said:
MikeC
They are the same type of knife as the metabo system.
not sure if the metabo has the holder though.
you can see the system here
http://www.barke.de/web-content/eng/pdfENG/Barke-Messer EN.pdf
usually suited to blocks that have springs for setting the height....but not entirely.
they are suitable for machines with plain knives (no slots or fixing holes)
"just" suited to replace knives 25 mm high but normally replace 30 mm knives. all should be 3 mm thick or the seating capable of taking a 3 mm thick knife.....anyone using 2.5 mm needs to check carefully they will be able to go in.
its not always necassary to have the setting screws indicated in the page as you could fit your own and save a few pennies. once you set the screws to the correct height you never need to adjust them again. you could araldite a suitable screw in the hole in the bottom of the seating in the block
all I need to know then is the length of the knives.
I keep a couple of the very popular sizes in stock, which I will sell in the numbers required, otherwise I'm afraid I ask you to buy packs of 12 knives.
Doug

Crikey.
just looked on the powertool spares site for the price of the metabo ones :shock:

mine are nowhere near that price!
260 mm knives £9.00 each.
the metabo ones fit straight onto the wedge, which has locating pins....but there's something strange about it because you cant order them.....? special item?

Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your post. As you can see I have disposable blades for the Elektra Beckum HC260 P/T, but depending on the cost I may change over to the disposable system for my Jet 50A (150mm) planer. So could you please give me a price for the system?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike
150 mm long and assuming the resharpenables are somewhere between 25 & 30 mm high and 3 mm thick.
Holders £6.00 each nett
HSS knives (best if you are doing a lot of fancy hardwoods) £6.15 each nett
HC Knives (ok for many hardwoods and all softwoods) £2.55 each nett.
setting/adjusting screws £2.00
Holders are supplied individually but knives must be in packs of 12 as I dont keep them as stock items.
all plus carriage & VAT
delivery 2 weeks

Mark

Hi. I use Sussex Sharpening services. Found then on the Net. They have done saw and planer blades and spiral router cutters for me in the past. And they collect and return for a nominal charge (I live in surrey). I think that their service is excellent (and before you ask, have absolutely no connections with them).

Happy hunting

SC

Back