Where to find decent 1/4" shank tongue and groove bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermudabob

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just getting into this woodworking lark and have mainly been making furniture from pallet wood. I've been given a router, and would like to start using it properly (finding a router table might be another post). One of the first things I'd like to use it for is for creating tongue and groove joints. So, I'm looking for a decent quality 1/4 inch shank tongue and groove bit set that will let me do this. Any recommendations out there?

Rob

Hello bermudabob and welcome.
You can either buy a cheaper set of TCT bits or go for a single good quality item.
Go to Axminster tools, Yandles, or similar for a start or do as I do and buy cheapies, E bay etc as i'm not machining constantly and their plenty good enough for most jobs.
With a cheaper set you could, for instance, groove with a flute cutter, and then change for a rebate cutter and take out a rebate each side for the tongue
Traditionally the T&G was machined slightly off centre, with the thickest piece being the face (top) side when used as flooring, theory being to allow for wear, then you could also take the top mm off and have a "new" surface to finish. another reason was to keep the "cupping" round side up, and therefore more stable and easier fitting with other boards.
If I can give some safety advice, both of these machining actions, being on the edge would be very unsafe without the benefit of a router table, even a cheap one would save you trying to balance on the edge whilst grooving etc
Also, An old hoover could be used to help keep the dreaded dust at bay as most router tables have a dust extraction port.
HTH Regards Rodders

You'll find using a router so much easier when mounted in a table.
It needn't be complicated to make one, here's an example ...
http://www.woodsmith.com/files/issues/195/quick-and-easy-router-table.pdf
It's from the US so take no notice of the actual router - the principle is the same.

I second Wealden bits and would recommend buying what you need as you need it.
The large sets are tempting but you'll probably find you only ever use 10% of them.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm certainly considering either buying or making a router table, it does seem like a sensible next step. As it seems that most tongue and groove bits are 1/2 inch, can you get any kind of adapter?

bermudabob":3vmpz3ia said:
Thanks for all the replies - I'm certainly considering either buying or making a router table, it does seem like a sensible next step. As it seems that most tongue and groove bits are 1/2 inch, can you get any kind of adapter?
You can get an adapter to use 1/4" bits in a 1/2" router but not the other way round.
It wouldn't make sense. A 1/2" router is a bigger, more powerful machine than a 1/4". The advantage of the 1/4" is that it's lighter and easier to manoeuvre by hand, but it's really only for relatively light cuts.

You can do T&G with a simple straight cutter. Cut the groove with a couple of passes then the rebates to form the tongue with a couple of passes each. Plenty of internet/printed articles will tell you how to do it.

This, like many routing operations is easier with a router table.

mseries":2zyi9zoi said:
You can do T&G with a simple straight cutter. Cut the groove with a couple of passes then the rebates to form the tongue with a couple of passes each. Plenty of internet/printed articles will tell you how to do it.

This, like many routing operations is easier with a router table.

Well said, any T&G cutters available would be too big for a smaller router.
As above use a 1/4" flute for a 1/4" groove, then a rebate cutter, each side, for the tongue, Simples!
Regards Rodders

bermudabob":1neaq1a8 said:
I think I'll follow the advice and go with a flute and a rebate cutter... just need to get them now...!
Either E bay or you're local market and tool stall.
A 10, or 12 "starter" set cost about £12. ish and you should be able to do most jobs.
They come in a nice box too! Let us know how you get on! regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back