Where to buy woodwork machinery?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsumouse

Reaction score
hi guys, after hours of looking on the net at different machinery websites,
i wondered if you guys have any experiences of buying machinery from companys.

could you please recommend sites and businesses, i am more than happy buying used machines (as my money will go further)

many thanks.

Welcome to the forum. I've bought stuff from Axminster in the past who give an excellent service. Others will be along presently with other options....Rutlands might also be worth considering tho' I've not bought anything major from them - Rob

Welcome to the forum.

You will get more useful answers if you post your location and the sort of space you have, your access, type of machine you want etc.

For instance, we don't know if you are after a small bench planer or a two ton cast iron panel saw.

Hi,

Timber Team machinery LTD are company I have used recently. Very good service. I would reccomend them, however they seem to deal with more industrial stuff rather than hobby equipment.

regards

Murray

Axminster can't be beat for their customer service in my opinion. Also their brand of machinery is really good for hobbyists. On the flipside, stay away from Lyndhurst - don't be tempted by their cheap 'bargains' on ebay - you have be warned :)

thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
i am looking at buying light industrial machines.

i have considered axminster already, i will have a further look into there site.

Hi vsumouse

I've bought second hand from Ebay and been very happy with my purchases. I discovered Axminster this way because I bought a S/H Axminster Jointer via Ebay. I've since bought one of their bandsaws and am very happy with both the product and the service I've had from them.

They also have an excellent catalogue which is very useful, ask them to send you one.

regards

Brian

As an 'enthusiastic amateur' with a wife who now tells me to buy tools that last ( :D ) I support the earlier posts about Axminster. I have bought many products from them, including their 'white' goods ranges. Every time I have had a problem or needed replacements they have shipped (often free of charge) the replacement part - for example a reverse threaded bolt for compressor that sheared after a year. They hold spares, and hold stocks for items no longer in their catalogue (I asked about and bought a 1micron filter for an old dust extractor). They also respond quickly to emails. Historically a quirky webpage but it seems to be better recently

On the other hand I did order a Fox Planer Thicknesser from Rutlands only to find on the scheduled delivery date that the container was still at sea and still there a month later. Having had my card debited at the point of order (check suppliers for this!) I did get a full refund but have invoked my5 year rule. I still buy low value items from Rutland's when a sale item is too tempting, but any significant purchase won't happen for at least another 3 years.

Another site to try (I know there are many but I am swayed by efficiently constructed web pages as well as price and reputation) is www.dm-tools.co.uk - they have web page specials, offer loyalty points and delivery on time.

I've had good internet service from DM Tools. Also, they have a decent amount of gear on display (but not demo) at their Twickenham shop if you are in that area.

i have to second both Axminster and D M Tools for their Customer Service and delivery times, both are good to their word, and would not hesitate to purchase significant items from either party..

I think £ for £ D M are a little more expensive (not by much) but they do offfer a loyalty points system, so save your points and either (with enough points)buy outright, or points + balance in £..

I've bought stuff from all over the place.

Ebay - T\S, Extractor, Router, Bandsaw, etc.

Shows - unfortunately being up North, doesn't mean much for shows, except the North of England Woodworking show - so, my nice to haves\treats wait for that. If you are after several things - the vendors will haggle. Last time paid 250 for Metabo's 150mm ROS and one of their Jigsaws, saving at least £40 on the pair.

Even got the Festool bug - so have the readies sat for a TS55 and guides, and loads of systainers.

Freeads - bought a well looked after large Lorum P\T for penauts, as the chap was upgrading.

The only thing is that unless it's new and from a reputable mail order outfit - it's always cash on collection on high value items or those where there are fakes.

Ultimately depends what your after - new or old or like me, aren't hugely fussed (obviously depending on price\condition).

But I've always bought well ahead of time - even if I won't be using it for upto a year. That way, price\condition are the ultimate considerations and it won't be because I couldn't stop salivating.

Back