Where do you store your w/working books - workshop or house?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you store your w/working books?

• Mostly in the house

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly in the workshop

• Spread roughly equally

• The place where I am not!

• Total voters

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I know this is hardly the most important question ever asked but with my ever increasing collection I find it a real pain - I never have the book where I want it! Guess it's not such a concern when the workshop is your garage attached to your house. But mines at the bottom of the garden!
Sod's law means I never have the book I want to refer to when I need it!
Solution two of every book?!
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":2pf4gpfk said:
Now I know this is hardly the most important question ever asked but with my ever increasing collection I find it a real pain - I never have the book where I want it! Guess it's not such a concern when the workshop is your garage attached to your house. But mines at the bottom of the garden!
Sod's law means I never have the book I want to refer to when I need it!
Solution two of every book?!
Cheers
Gidon

I tend to keep all of the books indoors where I can look things up in between trips out to the workshop. Workshop time is at a premium for me so if I went out there to read then I would be using up valuable making time.

If I need to refer to something in the workshop I will generally scan and print out the appropriate page and take it out with me in one of those plastic pockets you can put into a ring bnider. So I have a copy of the most important bits with me.

Being in the house without the book I want to read would be worse. To give you an idea we finally forced ourselves to cull some of the novels we know that neither of us are ever going to read and are not worth keeping for the kids, this came to about 200 books, or 10% of the novel collection (to make way for the 200 books we have bought since we ran out of shelf space ;) ). We also have two big bookcases just for the reference books ;)

Always in the house - winter in my garage (even though it's attached to the house) wouldn't do the books any good.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi,

In a book case at the top of the stairs, or scattered about the lounge :lol:

Pete

hi chaps, mine are spread between the two, when we moved here a couple of years ago, all my w/w books were consigned to the shed by
SWIMBO, as she thinks they are dirty/dusty/contaminated (ocd methinks
weird you may think :lol: ), slowly sneaking them in to the house, but shelf space conspires against me :)

I built a pair of bookcases last year to house our collection of woodworking and recipe books.

House...

In whatever room I was in when I last referred to any particular book. Which means, anywhere I can lay down a book I lay down a book. My bookshelves are full of videos and DVD's of all kinds. Must do a sort-out!
:D

I also keep mine indoors,anything I need in the shed I scan the pages I need and then Laminate them and leave in the shed.
The Lamination Process makes the Print easier to Read as a bonus.
Eddie

:D :D

shelf next to the bath, best place to lie back and dream of what you're going to make next,
or next to the toilet of course, only place you peace and quite

House. W/s not particularly well sealed from the elements!

Looks like i'm on my Jack Jones on this one - pretty much all of mine are in the 'shop. I have the odd one in the house for the odd moment of boredom.

Cheers

Karl

Karl, you think you're on your Jack Jones.....
-
-
-
.........I don't have any woodworking books at all!! I make it up as I go along.....

Mike

Phil and I have a decent collection of woodworking books and magazines which are kept in a bookcase in our shared workshop along with catalogues from suppliers...

...and competitors!

:wink:

A fellow cabinetmaker I'm friendly with meanwhile, has literally thousands of woodworking books boxed up in his workshop. He's been collecting them all his life and for the last twenty years or so has been meaning to make some bookcases for them in the spare bedroom at home.

When I spoke to him last week he was seriously contemplating getting some from IKEA!

Cheers
Dan

Back