Where do you get your tape measure from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
I used to buy a 5m tape measure from Asda for £2 but they now only do a 3m or 7.5m.

Where do you buy yours from and for how much as I find tapes pretty expensive from everywhere else! Screwfix wanted over £20 for 1.

MrYorke":17j8xy1x said:
I used to buy a 5m tape measure from Asda for £2 but they now only do a 3m or 7.5m.

Where do you buy yours from and for how much as I find tapes pretty expensive from everywhere else! Screwfix wanted over £20 for 1.

I've only bought Stanleys for a while now. In my business, tapes never last long on site and while the cheapies are fine for rough work they vary far too much imo for anything else. Fitted a kitchen a couple of weeks ago for example and my brother was using one which was 8mm out. Luckily oversize as under would have been disastrous. It went where they should all go, in the bin. They tend to lock up as well if you fully extend them.

Stanley plastic blade tapes aren't expensive these days if you shop around http://www.buyaparcel.com/p/stanley-5-m ... wgodCUIFcA Not where I bought the last ones but I paid about £5 for the triple packs and bought 5 of them.

cheers
Bob

I buy the Advent Vice Versa ones from Axi. Metric only (I refuse to use ancient elvish measurements) and they run from both right to left and left to right. Very useful indeed.

I really can't remember. I have a couple of cheap B&Q ones round the house but in the workshop I have a couple of Stanley ones which I have had for years, my Dad probably gave them to me.

Zeddedhed":2vkhtnqi said:
I buy the Advent Vice Versa ones from Axi. Metric only (I refuse to use ancient elvish measurements) and they run from both right to left and left to right. Very useful indeed.

+1 On that even a lot of America woodworkers are now adopting mm and this measure is a dream not only mm on top and bottom but also on the underside, very handy

I use a Rolson 16m tape as I like the way it locks automatically. But for any measurement under 2', I use a folding wooden rule :)

I have half-a-dozen of differing lengths. Most of them came as freebies, or presents from family members. They all seem to think I am in desperate need of a tape measure! All the same, I can never find one when I need. Not even my big Stanley. Periodically I do a house search, then within a couple of days they are spreading wings again! :mrgreen:

I used Stanly from any merchants or tool shops for years but bought some lufkins,(The black 5M. ones) and use them mostly, not so heavy as a Stanly and they happen to be cheaper too.
The 5 metre ones with a 20mm wide "blade" are better than the 3m. and narrow "bladed" types I think
Regards Rodders

I forgot to mention, I also have a tape measure that my sister pinched from work. Using a tape that's labelled Toys R Us sums up my competence :D

It don't matter where you buy it as long as it's a Stanley.
I still have my imperial only from my apprenticeship.
I'd better add, we did have metrics as well. We were issued with both, lucky us.

Zeddedhed":1febnhb6 said:

I spent a fair bit getting some Fisco imperial only ones from the US. Those Godless metric measurements are useless for making anything bigger than a jewellery box :lol:

RossJarvis":30to7r05 said:
Zeddedhed":30to7r05 said:

I spent a fair bit getting some Fisco imperial only ones from the US. Those Godless metric measurements are useless for making anything bigger than a jewellery box :lol:

This looks like the beginnings of a separate debate - metric (what Jesus would use) vs imperial (useful for Hobbit holes and guessing the size of trees)
:lol: Bring it on....

This looks like the beginnings of a separate debate - metric (what Jesus would use) vs imperial (useful for Hobbit holes and guessing the size of trees)

Think the start of this American video sums up the debate :D

His other vids are good also but big Festool fan

RossJarvis":1ddrh38b said:
Zeddedhed":1ddrh38b said:

=D>

Jesus probably used cubits, but being Jesus, he would have also employed 'muscle-memory'; he sized a gap with his outstretched arms, and walked over to the timber pile, keeping his arms still! Although that was probably risky, with Romans about.

Or he could have performed a miracle, and had everything ready cut. Just like I could at Great Barr Sawmills. A boon!

Zeddedhed":1am7frgk said:
RossJarvis":1am7frgk said:
Zeddedhed":1am7frgk said:

It's fairly obvious that our Lord and Saviour would use Imperial measurements. As the main impetus for the current metric metre based system was the atheistic French revolution, I'm sure he'd be slightly prejudiced against that.

As any fool knows, who's glasses seem to be running out of batteries, it's a heck of a lot easier to see the measurements on an imperial tape. Plus it's much easier to divide into halves, thirds and quarters using the duodecimal system. You need to either have a working brain or a calculator to deal with them millipedes.

Metricallists have been mislead for years by a Eurocentric unvoted Oligarchy into believing that Rochefort, Metres and Stella Artois are a satisfying replacement for Stilton, Feet and Watney's Red Barrel. IT MUST STOP, YOU HEAR, STOP!!

Latest posts

Back