Where Do We Start?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've decided to go with solid wood construction as per the original, profiling 2" slats on the spindle moulder and then assembling them into panels.

porada_riga-madia_425c.jpg

My glue lines will be on the concave bits - one every four fins.

I've ordered the spindle cutters to be made by my local saw doctor and should have them at the end of the week. Then I'll make a trial door out of some bits of scrap to try and weed out any potential pitfalls of the construction technique.

To avoid the danger of cupping of the door I plan to drill each section before assembly and insert titanium rods from top to bottom of each panel. This should hold everything flat as well as ensuring alignment on glue-up. I won't need dominoes. By having a stopped hole at the top and bottom the rods will not be visible; by making the rods slightly short wood movement will be allowed for.

That's the plan, anyway. The proof of the pudding etc...

:wink:

Meanwhile, the customer has been on the phone to say that his wife isn't keen on the walnut sample he took away with him. Would it be possible to make it out of oak?

I think it could be done...

:lol:

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Brad

Mr T":1dqdnneq said:
I'm intrigued that you gave a price without any thought as to how you were going to make the piece.

I do it all the time! I still think there's about two weeks work in this so I'm happy enough.

It's easy to say I should have charged more but I don't think the client was prepared to go any higher.

Times is hard!
:wink:

Only a thought, but there's some nice CNC machined panelling boards around now. These guys are local to me for example, they distribute for the US maker Interlam (there's a link to the US company on their site) and so far as i know do so in the UK as well: http://www.naa.ie/productsPanelling.html

Don't know for sure if they do customs, but i think so. The contact Alina at NAA is a nice lady.

There's a bit of work in machining profiled strips individually, and gluing them up. It's not quite the same thing, but i wonder would vacuum bagging a flexible veneer over a machined MDF panel like this be an option? It'd probably be more stable.....

I just thought "2 weeks work, £500 worth of wood, £100 to have some legs made, 3 grand"

In the pub, John told me that he'd had exactly the same figures in mind as we spoke to the punter.

So he can't blame me!

Actually, I'm looking forward to it. It's nice to wander outside of one's comfort zone once in a while!

Brilliant. Straight to the pub, we are all the same.
I'm not the only one then that just does some quick maths and comes up with a sum.
I would have done the Steel work at £300, Timber £1500, Tooling £500, Days at £175 x 15. Total £4925.
That would include all those costs that need to be accounted for. Sandpaper, Dominos, Glue, Clamps, Router bit, Delivery and general faffing about.
The client would see a saving of £1646 and think great.
As far as making it, not a clue, LOL. I would just put posts on here like you have done and get the answer.:wink:

I'll post my method of making it after work. Looking forward to seeing peoples responses on this one. I have my method in my head.

Hi,

It looks like a bigger version of this box I made
DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

Made with glue joint knves in a spindle moulder, three sections with the joints on the peaks, and a solid lid.

Pete

Sorry to wander off topic but seeing vat mentioned reminded me to ask.
What is the maximum turnover these days before registering for vat becomes compulsory ?

I've never tackled anything like this but what srung to mind was this: glue up a solid panel for the door, cut to finished size, dado cut the bulk of the waste out on the table saw and then knock up a quick jig for the router to tidy up the channels. The jig would be a simple as strips of MDF the correct spacing for the channels.

Alan Jones":2x9x5d6y said:
Sorry to wander off topic but seeing vat mentioned reminded me to ask.
What is the maximum turnover these days before registering for vat becomes compulsory ?

Alan

From 1 April 2010, the VAT registration threshold was increased from £68,000 to £70,000. There was talk in the budget about it going up to £100, 000..... Maybe, just hot air.

Brad
For what my opinion is worth...and if I have understood your method of manufacture correctly

You may have a big problem manufacturing 2 inch very long strips, machined to profile due to warping and twisting, and will struggle on glue up, and removing the glue after it dries.
IMO it may be better to make the panel up first and then have the whole thing sub contracted out for the fins machining. Then just make the piece up as you would anyother oblong shape.

Whatever way you go I would knock up some sort of proto type to prove the manufacturing process, and speak to the customer to increase the price based upon the prototype.
To be honest I bet the customer was laughing his socks off at the price you quoted, so wipe the smile off his face so he understands the difficulties making single components and not mass production stuff, then increase the price to a grand less than the net price.....

There is one thing for sure, if it goes to pot your name and reputation are at stake.

Good luck with whatever way you go.

Back