Where do people get their timber from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrich21

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new and I would like to know where people get their timber from? I don't have a real timber merchant near me but Travis Perkins can source things and order in. This appears to be expensive and I am sure there are cheaper places.

In what form do people order in as well? Do you order in big pieces and then cut it down yourself?

I would really like to make cabinets, a dining table, storage units etc. Just for myself but I want to use real wood not sheet material. I figure I can make real wood furniture for the same price you can buy ikea stuff.

I live just outside Retford, North Nottinghamshire if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks.

Hello Rich,

I would like to point you in the direction of Mike Cawthorne at MAC Timbers. He is a decent bloke and his timber yard and mill near Oundle (Peterborough) is a really nice place to visit. In the past I have given Mike a cutting list of the timber I need and he does the rest. It is also nice to just browse about the place and see what you can find. All native English species.

Here is a link to the web page;

http://www.mactimbers.co.uk/

I notice there is an open day on 31 March.

Hope this helps.

Tony.

Thanks everybody.

I have had dealings with Fitchett and Woolacott before, not helpful and quite far away now I have moved. Sheffield is easier to get to.

I will have a look at the suggestions.

Cheers.

Back