Where can I learn about woodworking?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm good with my hands, being a musician, and I have experience with power-tools, having built Exhibition-stands and Signs in previous jobs. Previously though, my only real-connection with the woodworking hobby has been from making sheds/handrails/loft-hatches etc, for my house that needed extensive renovation. However, now that my house is finished, I would like to learn the fundamentals of woodworking, and if possible, try making some basic furniture.

Can anyone recommend the best way to proceed with this? I've looked round for evening classes but can't find anything in the Colchester, Essex area. A full-time course or apprenticeships would be out of the question, as I would like this to a hobby and not a change of career.
I'm not expecting free tuition or courses, but can't seem to find anything on offer?

Any tips or advice would be most welcomed.

Regards
Joe

Plenty of courses in the back of this months F&C. Just from one page (89) there are courses on offer from Michael Scott, James Mursell, Peter Quinn, Chris Tribe (of this parish) Williams and Cleal and David Charlesworth. All of these are professional makers and in todays climate would probably take your hand off if you signed up for a course...downside is they won't be cheap :( - Rob

Hi,

I did a 'DIY furniture making' course at Ipswich college a couple of years back. It was on a Tuesday night for about 3 hours It's not a structured course as such, you can make what you like within reason and the tutor will give you whatever help you need, e.g. instruction in the safe use of power tools, how to mark/cut joints, how to plan work/cutting lists. I made a blanket box and a coffee table in two terms and found it a good start for a beginner. (They don't let you play with the really big power tools, probably something to do with insurance!)

Cheers,

Neil.

They don't let you play with the really big power tools, probably something to do with insurance!)
I did a full time course some time ago, and they DID let me have a play with the big toys. It was great. Now I have a WS full of them. Cost a fortune. Count yerself lucky!

Having got the qualifications and experience needed to trade I now find myself obsessed with the finer art of furniture making, to the point where I have turned down better paid jobs for ones I want to do. I am a site chippy really, but did my work experience/training with a joiner/ kitchen maker/fitter.

TBH I have found that with a bit of motivation and willing to mess things up once or twice, and plenty of wood stock, you can learn from the net (you tube/ forum etc) more than you might think.

HTH

Neil

I think you have to decide what sort of woodwork you want to do.
Do you want to turn? enormously creative and satisfying. Can be profitable at times, initial cost is high.
Scroll working, again creative and satisfying. Initial not too high.
furniture making, initial cost again, can be high if you want machines, and you will need a fair bit of space.
I think it's the best hobby or pastime one can do however, it is not to be taken lightly if you just want something to do to pass the time.
Please don't think I am trying to put you off, but you do need to think which way you want to go.
If you do decide to go on then welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot just from this. IMO the best way forward are woodworking clubs.
There you can generally try machines, get advice and see what you prefer to do.
I wish you best of luck, and welcome to the world of wood.

John. B

Hi folks, thanks for your replies!

I definiatly want to experience furniture making, I'd love to be able to design and build basic chests, and coffee tables etc - after years of practising I'll bet haha.

I've checked out some of those names that Woodbloke suggested, but the courses are quite far from Colchester.

Does anyone know of any that are closer to home - perhaps Ipswich/Chelmsford etc?

Many thanks,
Joe

Greetings

Ipswich College 01473 343666 are currently taking bookings for next term

The course is D.I.Y. Furniture Making AUAFML9E9
(Sorry do not know cost)
Starts 21 April Ends 30 June .
2 hours starting 19:00

In the 10 weeks you would be able to make a small coffee table or something and learn a lot of skills, especially with hand tools, although as previously mentioned the tutors help with the major power tools.

No affiliation etc.

Back