Where can I get veneered plyboard -12 mm or more

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonidentity

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
what is the best way of buying plyboard in sheets?

I want to build cupboards but I want cherry verneered plyboard of approx 12.18 mm.

You cannot get this at B&Q or Homebase. Where can one find these materials?

The idea is to trim the edges with real cherry and have side/top panels to be cherry verneer.

I am on border Mddx and Surrey.

Any advise?

There aren't many companies who do this as a stock item - in my area (N. England) it's generally a case of either veneering it yourself or getting someone like Lawcris in Leeds to do it for you. Why do you need plywood over the readily available MDF?

Scrit

Not sure, but I think Jewson do some veneered board, though it may not be plywood or the thickness you need, or veneered both sides. The other alternative, as Scrit quite rightly says, is to have a trawl around your local cabinet shops and see if someone can veneer some board for you - Rob

I looked into cherry veneered ply some time ago (wanting to save weight over MDF). As Scrit says, there ain't many options. In the end I gave up and used MDF. On the plus side, it does stay flatter than ply.

As the others have said veneered ply over 12mm is a special, you should have no problems getting 18mm in MDF or Chipboard. Most af the llarge timber merchants will get it in for you such as Travis Perkins, Jewsons etc. Or get It direct, I use Richard Russel in Croydon but they deliver all over the Southeast.

http://www.richardrussell.co.uk/

If you need it cut to size then Soulth London Hardwoods offer that service.

http://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/sheetmaterials.asp

Jason

Matt1245":2p24cm63 said:
Manchester Panel Products supply cherry veneer ply in 12mm, not sure how much delivery would be to you part of the world tho.
I've dealt with them. The 6mm and 12mm cherry and a few others are ex-stock, thicker stuff frequently isn't in my experience. They deliver 3 times a week up here in the sticks. However, Lawcris are invariably cheaper, deliver daily and run on a 5 day turnaround on almost any commonly available veneer - specials like zebrano can take a few days more. You find a consistent supplier then stick with them..... Either way not much use if you live near London :cry:

Scrit

not sure whether they do ply in cherry, but like a couple of
other people, i have used hanson's in west london for
faced mdf they have branches in
southall, hounslow, and sudbury hill.

they will also cut on site. i think the best places for the veneered boards
are hounslow and southall.

hope this helps.

my estimates are that ply will generally cost about twice as much,
and as has been said before, not necessarily as flat or perfect.

paul :wink:

Thanks for the info.

It seems that MDF is the better way to go however the price is the additional mass vs plywood.

Maybe I need to rethink my design to alleviate 500kg cupboards! :shock:

Appreciated.

Someone else who stocks Cherry Face Ply and MDF alternates, Severn Ply a bit far away from you though, and I do not have the catalogue with me to check delivery details to your area. (info. seems to be missing from web site)

i agree about the weight issues, but economics must come into it too i
guess.

have you thought to see whether any the"lightweight" mdf's come
in a veneered finish??? i am led to beleive they are about
30% lighter, but not sure about strength capabilities.
:?

engineer one":22i6u7w9 said:
Have you thought to see whether any he"lightweight" MDFs come in a veneered finish??? I am led to believe they are about 30% lighter, but not sure about strength capabilities. :?
Unfortunately the lightweight is not readily available ex-stock pre-veneered, although if you look around you might find some as it's now being used by one or two kitchen and bedroom manufacturers. I certainly know one company who manufactures it in North Yorkshire - however their minimum delivery is a pack....... about 30 or so sheets in 8 x 4s

Scrit

as usual scrit a fount of knowledge.
valuable to know it is becoming more available in a form we might
like to use.

where can we find more data about its values and strengths???
would be nice to make things you can actually move :lol: :lol: :twisted:

If you give Shawyers a ring from my link and I think they will do light weight MDF but give them a ring to make sure :)

Have you thought of doing the side panels as a frame and panel construction--i.e. those side panels which will be visible? Using Solid Cherry as the frame and 6mm cherry MDF as the panel. This keeps the weight manageable in my experience.

Brad

JPEC":gonizkgf said:
Another option might be to laminate two 6mm veneered one side boards together.
Available here http://www.cfanderson.co.uk/products/ra ... R-Plywood- they also have a branch in London i believe. Sorry dont know how to put that in as a link[/url]

cool, it did it on its own!

Even better if you link it to a word or words like This.

Code:
[url=http://www.cfanderson.co.uk/products/range/Timber-and-Boards/Plywood/Veneered-plywood/2440-x-1220-x-3640mm-Cherry-Crown-Cut-Veneered-1-Side-MR-Plywood]This.[/url]

Latest posts

Back