Where can I get thin nails?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a number of vintage wooden fruit boxes that need a bit of work before being used to make a couple of storage units. These are old and some of the nails are missing or rusted away and I have looked for replacements but without success.

What I want to get are bright round wire nails 40mm long but only 1.8 mm wide but cant find any. Apparently they may be called box nails.

I'm only looking for a few hundred of the nails.

So does anyone know where I can get some of these?

Misterfish

Ian't there an old trick of blunting the tip of a nail first to help prevent wood splitting?

I'm sure I've done that a time it two.

Stop Cracken

Tap the pointed end of the nail with your hammer to flatten the tip a bit. Now you no longer have a sharp tip that will act as a chisel and causes the wood to split. The blunt tip cuts the fibers of the wood and prevents the splitting crack to start. Try it and stop the Crack!

Failing that how about pre-drilling the holes?

To stop the wood splitting cut the head off one of the nails you want to use, chuck it in a drill and make pilot holes. Just don't go all the way through, only through the thin lats, then hammer nails home. Works every time for me.

Matt

Back