Where can I find cheap 18mm plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbadmarky

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,
My first post on here but I've been a bit of a lurker for a while.

I've been working on my own little workshop in my garage and I'm keen to make some floor standing cupboards to give me some drawer space and a work top space for my pillar drill. I've been looking at a few designs and I've kind of worked out what I want and intend on making it out of 18mm ply. The only fly in the ointment is the cost.
Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get cheap, good quality 18mm ply?
I've looked around the usual suspects, B&Q, Wickes etc but it all gets a bit expensive when you add in delivery (I can't fit 1220mm x 2440mm boards in the back of my car).

Thanks,
BBM

Do you have a local timber merchant?
Have you thought about getting it cut on site, or cutting it up yourself in the car park? (cordless circular saw)

My timber merchant is within 5 miles, so charges about £12 for delivery. Or I ask them to cut full sheets into quarter sheets, which fit in the boot of most cars (but that requires more planning and may not be possible depending on your cut list)

Avon Plywood on the outskirts of Keynsham: They stock a range of grades and they are easy to get to from Yate around the ring road and the Keynsham bypass. That URL does generate a security warning in Google Chrome (and probably Firefox), but yes, it is the right people.

Give them a cutting list and pay for them to break the sheets down for you. This has two big advantages: 1. pieces that will fit in the car, 2. if the dimensions are wrong, it's their problem rather than yours! But they are a commercial supplier, not a DIY shed, so do your homework first and go there (or order on-line) knowing exactly what you want.

They have a cutting list tool on their web site too.

I have a long rail for the plunge saw, meaning I can break down full 8'x4' sheets, but whenever possible I get the longer cuts done by them. I also don't find their delivery costs expensive.

I find them friendly and helpful.

Failing that, Kellaway builders merchants in Lockleaze (or Yate itself) - go up there with a panel saw (and a tin of spinach for the biceps). They are fairly happy for you to cut up a sheet next to the car*, but you will almost certainly waste more than by getting Avon Ply to do it for you.

Hope that helps.

E.

*well, they used to be at Lockleaze. YMMV.

Brilliant. Thanks for the responses chaps. Very helpful. I might give Avon Plywood a look and see what they can do for me.

Thanks again,
BBM

Search for 18mm ply on Gumtree Gloucestershire, there is a chap on there (Bill) located just outside who Stonehouse who sells 18mm Birch ply offcuts, and other sheet materials at good prices. Usually only 15 - 20" wide but you can of course joint it together. I've had a few lots from him to do the same as you with drawers and equipment bases.

Nick

Bigbadmarky":2k1it0ln said:
Can anyone recommend somewhere I can get cheap, good quality 18mm ply?

There's cheap ply and there's good quality ply...but there's no such thing as cheap, good quality ply.

Here's a useful guide to the plywood grading system,

https://www.trada.co.uk/media/3819/birc ... 013_lr.pdf

For clear finishes on furniture quality projects you really need S+/BB or B/BB birch ply (the BB face goes on the inside or the back). For painted finishes on furniture quality projects you'll need S/BB or BB/BB birch ply.

Have you looked in Homebase, no idea to the cost or quality but I know the one local to me has a cutting service. Just a thought.

Should have said, the guy I mentioned has B/BB grade. If you do go though just double check as I did find one BB/BB board in the pile, he buys them in in bulk.

Nick

You can't buy good quality ply on the cheap unless you know someone willing to sell good quality ply through the back door as so to say...

For general building and so on I use shuttering quality ply as its cheap and has one ok face, the other face is poor.

Lathams in Yate has a good stock of plywood. Probably a lot cheaper than any DIY Shop like B&Q or Wickes (Rip-off merchants). Not sure how much hassle you'll have getting a delivery if you're not a business though, or if you're only buying 1 or 2 sheets they might not want to bother.

Evening All,
Thanks again for the replies. Lots of good tips here. Hopefully I can build my units with a budget that doesn't anger the missus.
Just to clarify, I am aware that cheap and good quality are rarely the same thing but I'm keen to avoid expensive and poor quality. I don't mind paying the right price for right quality.
Thanks,
BBM

Although it probably won't get much love on here I find my local B and Q a good source for ply and/or MDF for jobs like this. The cutting service is excellent, the guy in there will follow my cut list perfectly to a good tolerance, it's open till 8 and right through the weekend, cheap enough and it's easy to get a trade card to bring the price down further.
Travis Perkins do free delivery over £50 as another option, easy way to get full sheet delivered.

No it's not the top grade ply you'd want for higher end projects but it won't be at the price. But for workshop cupboards, drawers, etc it's ideal for me.

I find Wickes surprisingly good for delivering 8x4 sheets of not-fancy ply or OSB. Some of their sheets are £20-30. Not all have free delivery, so look through their list carefully.

My local B&Q And Wickes offer a free cutting service.

Is a pain I had to pull out all the sheets,2 x 4 foots, to find a good un:) Then politely put them all back. Their big upright wall mounted circular saw dosn't have a scoring blade, their saw will cut mdf cleanly. Though with plywood you will get some chip out. A possible solution is to get them to cut to approximate size so can get in car. Perhaps get a reasonably priced track saw, with a suitable blade in it. I bought a new WoodStar track saw off Ebay at a reasonable price, the WoodStar is a Scheppach clone, quite a few people reckon the Scheppach is pretty decent kit. Could stick some masking tape on cut line to ensure as clean a cut as possible.
If bought a track saw would quite likely come in handy in the future. I would prefer to use a track saw rather than a circular saw and fath of clamping on wood to act as a guide rail etc.
Good luck:)

B&Q has the worst quality ply I have ever seen, in my local one I'd say 85% of them were warped, twisted or not flat, not even fit for purpose, and even with that it was still double the cost of the place I normally go to a small independent timber merchant.

A possible route,the carving and woodworking club I went to. We had the commander of Buckley Barracks, logistics supply come along to learn carving. Anyway he gave me a load of top quality plywood, only thing had to use a sander to remove the khaki green:) Sanding it did actual produce quite a nice unusual effect.

He told me use the plywood to box up equipment. As I say could be a possible route, to find qood quality ply for free. Seems after use they just chuck it. You might have a military base near you.

thetyreman":3l8quvx2 said:
B&Q has the worst quality ply I have ever seen, in my local one I'd say 85% of them were warped, twisted or not flat, not even fit for purpose, and even with that it was still double the cost of the place I normally go to a small independent timber merchant.

I noticed you are from Stockport. Out of interest which timber merchant would you recommend? Cheers.

barnettjacob":23524uz5 said:
thetyreman":23524uz5 said:

I noticed you are from Stockport. Out of interest which timber merchant would you recommend? Cheers.

yes I am, Tomlinson Parbans is what I'd recommend, it's close to lyme park.

thetyreman":1qxyxwms said:
barnettjacob":1qxyxwms said:
thetyreman":1qxyxwms said:

yes I am, Tomlinson Parbans is what I'd recommend, it's close to lyme park.

Hmm, the pricelist on their website is nowhere near half the price of B and Q or Wickes I think there's a little exaggeration there. I sometimes have to pull out a couple of sheets to find a good one but no more than at my local timber merchants, the quality of ply is generally good at my local B&Q. Maybe they send all the poor stuff to Stockport? Cuts are generally clean, I usually do final cuts myself at home anyway

Back