Eucalyptus Plywood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidwellj

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a big project coming up to build out a room full of built-in bookshelves and a few cabinets for other rooms, so have just been chatting with the rep at Lathams about plywood prices. I was glad to see they've come down a bit from astronomical prices a year ago. He mentioned they are selling a new product which is properly FSC certified (as opposed to Chinese poplar boards) called "Koala" plywood made from eucalyptus. The prices were considerably lower than birch ply (e.g. £30.65 / sheet not inc.VAT for 18mm 8x4 sheets B/BB grade). I'm wondering if anyone has used eucalyptus sheets before and could comment on their usability? All these units I'm building will be painted, so it sounds like a pretty good deal to me?!

I'm interested in any comments about finishing, does it take stain? I only need one sheet so wholesale might be a bit over the top.

I've recently been building wardrobes, bookcases etc. For the varnished internal parts as a replacement for Birch ply I used Poplar/Tulip wood ply, so not exactly the same. It is a lot lighter when it comes to picking up a sheet of 8x4 18mm. It is softer but takes an acrylic floor varnish well and hardens up. I did find it needed three coats instead of the usual two, with a light 400 grit aluminium oxide de-knib between coats. The veneer layers are thicker and an exposed edge does not look as nice as birch.
I sourced mine from Timbmet, having used Lathams for my hardwood Poplar boards. I was pleased with the service and price provided by both companies.

Colin

I've got a big project coming up to build out a room full of built-in bookshelves and a few cabinets for other rooms, so have just been chatting with the rep at Lathams about plywood prices. I was glad to see they've come down a bit from astronomical prices a year ago. He mentioned they are selling a new product which is properly FSC certified (as opposed to Chinese poplar boards) called "Koala" plywood made from eucalyptus. The prices were considerably lower than birch ply (e.g. £30.65 / sheet not inc.VAT for 18mm 8x4 sheets B/BB grade). I'm wondering if anyone has used eucalyptus sheets before and could comment on their usability? All these units I'm building will be painted, so it sounds like a pretty good deal to me?!
That seems an excellent price, so perhaps prices are coming down. I paid similar for 18mm horrid 'Malasian Hardwood' ply boards a year ago, they were terrible (poorly glued and full of voids) but still the same price as 18mm OSB at the time!

F.

I had a load of 18mm eucalyptus ply for structural flooring. It wasnt great quality, although there may be different grades. I can tell you though, that 3 sheets, stored undercover but in a building without heating, twisted and started to delaminate. It was all jewsons could get at that time. I wouldnt want it again...... it was nothing more than shuttering ply

Back