Where can I find an electrical contractor for an old motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lathe User

Established Member
Reaction score
Where do I look for a replacement IMO K2 - 09 A10 contractor? Failing that does anyone know what a modern replacement would be of similar size Din Rail mounted.
Of coarse there is the faint hope that one of you may have one, even with a failed coil which for me would fine as my coil seems operational.
I am not in any way an electrical engineer but I have an old friend that is, so if you could respond with that in mind I would appreciate it.
Many thanks Clive

Clive I had a similar problem and I too am not "electrical" beyond simple stuff. I needed a twin contactor for reversing a single phase motor, the original had failed [some 50yrs old]

After much searching and trying RS & several other wholesalers I made contact with Scheinder Electrical https://www.se.com/uk/en/ who were most helpful and assisted me in every way possible. I then enlisted a local electrical engineer to fit the units supplied.
John

As ChaiLatte mentions, you need to specify the coil voltage too. Also, is this a single-phase or three-phase motor? And what is the power rating and static current?
(You could maybe post a picture of the contactor showing the type, and of it with its wiring, and the motor plate.)

K2-09 isn't coming up on the IMO website so I suspect it's discontinued, although they still have the datasheet: https://technical.imopc.com/k2_contactors_&_overloads.pdf

Have you tried contacting IMO? I've always found such technical helplines very helpful.
Access Electrical (mentioned by ChaiLatte) are showing the 24V and 415V versions of the K2-09, but not the 240V one. It's highly unlikely you'd want 24V; for 3-phase you might want 415V, and single phase most likely 240V, but you need to be sure.

By coincidence I've spent considerable time researching similar contactors recently and there's a very wide choice, and for 9A nominal current they're mostly around £40. But be aware that (according to current wiring regulations) motors more than 1/2 hp shouldhave an overload in the circuit. These are normally thermal overloads fitted below the contactor (connected directly to it electrically) but sometimes to one side with wires. If you have a thermal overload that's directly connected to the contactor, and can't get a direct replacement, you'll need either to make sure the overload you have will fit the new contactor you get, or you'll have to get a new overload too. They're a similar price.

I'll take the risk of assuming that this is for "direct online" aka DOL starting and stopping of an AC induction motor. There is a vast range of choice so don't be concerned about the specific IMO contactor being available or paying a premium for it.

The main thing that you need to be aware of is that contactors are rated for different types of duty. Starting an induction motor is relatively demanding and a contactor for that duty would be rated AC-3 and have a rating in terms of current or motor power specified against that.

As long as the voltages of the contacts and the coil both match, the number of phases match, and the AC-3 rated current or motor power are the same or greater, you should be good electrically.

Schneider are one of many brands, their explanation of AC3 is part way down:
https://www.se.com/uk/en/product-ca...gned for,and can withstand frequent switching.

You will notice from reading catalogues that contactors step up in physical size as their power ratings increase.

DOL starters are commodity products. It may well be cheapest and easiest just to swap the whole thing. That way you don't have to worry about matching the new contactor to the existing enclosure and overload.

Thank you very much for the input. To address some of the points. It is a 3 phase 2 speed motor. The contactors do have thermal overloads screwed into the side. I say contactors because there's two one for the above motor and 1 for a little coolant pump with a blank label. Because the motor contactor ( not the coil) was damaged we swapped them over. Hence why I need to source at least one more.
See pics
1000003382.jpg
1000003160.jpg

You might wish to edit the title of your thread because a contractor is someone who would perform the task, you need a replacement contactor and it might just be easier / cheaper to buy a replacement DOL unit than mess around looking for parts.

Can you also provide a zoomed out picture please so the "95/96/97" contacts on the bottom of the thermal overloads are visible, as well as the current settings.

Also i can't quite make out the coil wiring in these. Basic question is whether it's phase-to-phase (415V) or phase-to-neutral (240V) or something else.

Also, which contactor is for which motor?

And - you says it's a two-speed motor - are you just looking at the RPM on the plate (1410/1735) which would just happen from use at 50 or 60 Hz - or something else? if it's controllable by you as the user I'd expect there'd be another contactor or at least a switch.

As others have said, you may do better just getting new DOL starters. But even then you'd need to make sure you had the correct range of thermal overload (and set them up properly within that range) to keep the motors safe.

Afterthought. Reading between the lines of what you wrote, I'm suspecting that this type of contactor has a removable coil. If that's the case, you could take a punt at the 415V version (which is the more likely voltage for your case) but use the coil from the old one. In any case though it would be worth investigating why the contactor burnt out in the first place.

Last edited:
From the info on the plate, nothing suggests this is a 2 speed motor. Just a NEMA standard 3 phase motor that can be wired star or delta (aka "dual voltage") and like many others can tolerate a supply frequency between 50 and 60Hz.
Depending on the supply frequency and voltage, the rpm, current and motor power will be different and the tables are given to explain what those will be. Those tables are necessary so that the overload relay can be dialled in accordingly.

Thank you very much for the input. To address some of the points. It is a 3 phase 2 speed motor. The contactors do have thermal overloads screwed into the side. I say contactors because there's two one for the above motor and 1 for a little coolant pump with a blank label. Because the motor contactor ( not the coil) was damaged we swapped them over. Hence why I need to source at least one more.
See picsView attachment 179676View attachment 179677
I used to be UK repair engineer on USA Westinghouse stuff I found that Klocner Moeller contactors were either original equipment or could be matched to other manufacturers equipment (including O/L protection).

Good morning,
Just for background to change the speed range there is both an electric switch going from low to 'off' to high which reverses the motor plus a mechanical lever from low through neutral to high and then a winder to choose the speed.
As for the DOL , nothing that simple. There's a control cabinet for 4 electrical motors and a massive transformer. With a separate box for the various motor on/off switches.
Iam reasonably certain I know the reason for the damaged contactor - underpowered 2 hp rotary converter to a 2hp motor.
Which still leaves me looking for a replacement contactor or a suitable replacement.
Thank you again for all the info.

Back