Where can I buy a india Slipstone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just given some tools from a friend who’s granddad sadly pasted away :( Some old chisels, screwdrivers and a few bits and pieces.
But also a fairly new Spear & Jackson dovetail saws. I had a go with the saw but it seems to track in a curve to the left. So I asked my dad
to have a go too and see what he thinks, some results (so it not just my poor sawing :wink: ) the saw tracks to the left until it jams.
Which to me sounded like uneven set? So after reading an article in David Charlesworth book which describes adjusting set.
I thought I would try removing the excess set.

So I was wondering where can I buy a India slipstone? I looked in Axminster but there slip stones seem to be designed for sharpening gouges
or carving tools, would these do the job, if so which one? Or does anyone know where I might be able to get one for such a job?

Thanks again guys :lol:

Nads

Tilgear I think. or possibly Dick fine tools, or Classic.

Evening up & or reducing set with fine slipstone can have a remarkable effect on a saws ability to track. ie to cut straight. Finish usually improves as well, as removal of excess set also has a partial sharpening effect on the tips.

You can use any type of slipstone, or even bench stone, diamond ceramic oil Arkansas etc. most waterstones a bit soft for this job.

Don't take too much off or the saw will stick!

David C

Nads":16u4g2ci said:
So I was wondering where can I buy a India slipstone?

Your easiest bet for this purpose is to go to a market tool stall (the ones with Rolson, AmTech etc) and by a 3-pack of credit card sized diamond stones.

They won't be very good, but they should cost very little.

They're quite handy things to have around, I find.

BugBear

David C":suglk2ar said:
Don't take too much off or the saw will stick!

David C

Good advice

I've had several experiences of setting teeth, sharpening and then stoning too much and too agressively=> square one and start all over again :cry: :roll:
I take just one pass (with the side of my oilstone so the top surface doesnt get grooved and not waterstone for reasons already stted) on the side that is drifting, doing the whole pass from start of blade to end in one motion, I rest on a good stable flat planed bit of beech (recycled table leg). Then I try it cutting to a marked line, if it still wanders take another pass, try cutting to line again. Very cautiously, from experience.
With the best will in the world, some teeth get set out a little unevenly with the pliers which causes a groove when you cros cut, stoning evens the teeth up so the tips track as closely as possible in the exact same plane like a row of dozens of fresh tiny little stanley knife blades :lol:

Just a thought, bit of lateral thinking here... if a bandsaw blade tracks to one side when cutting, I wonder if the same sort of technique can be used to reduce the set slightly? (ie; rotating the blade by hand and holding a small slip stone against the offending side) - Rob

I have wondered about this for years but never had the nerve to try.

It will certainly work, but how can we do it safely and controllably?

IDEAS PLEASE

David C

I have not a lot of esxperiences of band saws.
But I would think to make up a jig that clamps to the cutting tble, with another block with a little clamp to hold a piece of carbonrundum stonethat can be advanced with a turning screw to push it very gradually against the running blade?

Back