When the time comes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in a similar situation and am in the process of selling on stuff and listing what I want to keep. Been meaning for the last couple of years to sell my 2 cement mixers, wacker plate, breakers, laser level, theodolites and all the other paraphernalia you collect over the years. It's scary just how much it's all worth.

Paul200":1ofjui8d said:
Thought provoking post. I recently fell into helping a local family dispose of a workshop full of hand tools by answering an ad for the sale of a couple of planes. It soon became obvious that they didn't know the value of things so I offered to help out. (Pride of the collection was an early Preston Patent double rebate plane which they had tried to give me for free - it made £240!).

No-one is more surprised than me that in August this year I will have managed to reach the grand old age of 65. The Boss and myself have discussed what to do with my kit occasionally - but that's as far as it gets. I think the list suggestion is a good one and I may make a start on that today. I do have a potential son-in-law who is a luthier, so he would be the obvious first port of call for my grieving wife. I don't have tools of any great value but I would much rather they went to a good home, so donation to the local Mens Shed is also an excellent suggestion.

You know, even with my recent disposal activities and being generally quite pro-active, the question of what to do with my workshop hasn't really been sorted satisfactorily. With the emotional links these tools would undoubtedly evoke I can see that it would be a heart-rending exercise for the Boss. I'm on it now - thanks guys!

Paul
Whilst I appreciate 65 isn't the prime of life (and that anybody can go at anytime), thinking about what I'm doing with the workshop contents when I'm dead wouldn't be top of my to do list.

My grandparents made it to 100+. You could have at least 20 years in the workshop ahead :)

My guess is I'd have sold most of my stuff off as I got too crusty to use it, which would save the family from having to deal with most of it.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions and comments - sorry I've only just got round to responding, been a bit Uncle Dick.
So, as I surmised, I'm not alone. #1 Wife and I have been discussing it this evening, and we agree on two main points, both of which have been mentioned by respondents.
1. The most important objective is that the recipient takes everything, for obvious reasons. With everything else she will have to attend to after my demise, messing about in a crammed dusty workshop won't be high on the list, and I want to avoid unnecessary stress at all costs.
2. I am not worried about getting a fair price. (See 1 above) Naturally I would prefer that a charity or college/school would take it all, but that's most unlikely - they just don't have the resources. I like the idea that (part of) the value could be gifted to charity, as it would be my final charitable act, but as a last resort I accept that it may have to be a commercial operation that takes it. Maybe they would consider donating a part of their profit.

I hope we can keep this thread open for a while yet; all the responses to date have been helpful, but I think there is more good advice out there. please keep it coming.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's unlikely an individual or commercial outfit will want to purchase it as a job lot (unless they plan to resell as individual parts) - chances are they already have most of the stuff themselves.

Of course a charity taking it for free is a completely different matter :)

Last week i cleared an elderly friend of my inlaws workshop, he is still alive though at 92 in poor health. I didnt feel good about doing it but was asked by him & his wife to do it as he was worried everything was getting damp & going rusty & didnt want her to have the hassle when he was gone.
3 days of hard graft to empty that shed, All the power tools were black & decker & a lot of the stuff was of low quality or in poor condition with an awful lot of rubbish & junk. I ended up giving most of it to the new Mens shed that is starting up locally. There is a Fobco drill & Oxford welder to sell for them & thats that. I have a few bits & bobs for my trouble.
A friend is a small local scrap dealer & he has done hundreds of clearances over the years, most will be junk with a few good bits but he clears the lot in one go. Anyone doing this is in for a lot of work it is unrealistic to expect them to do it for nothing. I have worked with him & cleared several school workshops over the years, Today it is pointless to offer stuff to schools, Many are turning away from practical subjects & in any case will not want old machinery often not up to modern H&S standards.
Choice is list it separately & have the hassle or get someone in to clear in one go, trouble is there is a lot of us getting older with grey hair out there & fewer people taking up practical hobbies. Good luck!

Yojevol":2sebocre said:
I often buy things at Pughs Tools & Timber auctions in Ledbury. Last time I was there on preview day and bumped into Mr Pugh himself. I said to him that I might well be selling all my gear here one day. He replied "or your widow"
Brian
Why would you want your widow sold? :D

I have seen too many good tool crushed at various scrapyard only because some littleknowing heirs did not bother to research what they had.
I have also seen a few old men loose interrest in life itself and die or turn hospitalized too early after having done what they though was right and sold off everything that was fun and motivating. I have also seen old people recover their health against all odds and get 5 or 10 or even 15 years of bonus lifetime because they were determined to go back to the activities they liked at any cost.

So...... I am still young....... but I think the best way to go is to clean out all junk and litter while you can. Give away or sell a few surplus spare parts and such when somebody needs them. Keep the rest and tell your heirs that everything still there has either a market value or a user value and there is nothing there to bin. Ask your heirs and family who want what and make some sort of list of what goes to whom when you are gone.
Then you can live a full life and stay active all the way until the inevitable happens. When it happens your heirs loose no money and it is easy for them to share the inheritance as you wanted it.

Myself I am fortunate to be part of a family with strong traditions of crafsmanship. Tools are passed on from one generation to the next and when somebody dies it is a natural thing to pass the tools to the closest relative who needs them even if the person isn't the nearest heir. I am the fifth generation using a couple of my tools.
Hopefully there will be more craftspeople coming after me and if there aren't I will make sure that my tools go to a younger relative or friend who can make good use of them.

This ^^^ is good, A good inventory of your tools & equipment & a wish list of where / who it goes to would be my choice.
Fortunately my son is a lover of tools. Most of mine are old & have come down from friends or craftsmen that i knew even if only by name, it is good to have a name associated with tools.
Mens sheds, Local engineering clubs, Tools for Africa, Dealers. Save the scrappy till last unless you know he is sensible !

Leaving an inventory and values would seem sensible but, if SWMBO sees it too early, I could die before my time :shock:

One thought is to name a willing friend/beneficiary in your will to sort things out.

Hi,

Here's a suggestion but not one I have any personal experience of so it will need a little research.

There are private ebay selling services that will do everything for you and achieve the best price they can minus their fee. I did a quick google and found this one http://www.wesellyouritems.co.uk/ .

Hope this helps.

Back