Wheelchair Scrollsaw Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benwoodham

Reaction score
Hi Guys been a while since i have had the chance to post on here been busy with my now 8 week old little boy and has taken up all my time not that i mind at all, anyway thought i wiould show you my solution to being in a wheelchair and using a scrollsaw i made the bench myself and as you can see it is a snug fit. I have been doing a few hours a week on it at the moment but hopefully will be getting more time soon.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 911
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 911
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 911
Great job looks as it will be used for a very long time ,It seems a great way to set up a scroll saw and not just for wheelchair use .Hope you and the little lad will have great times together . God Bless

That is excellent. Are you able to lock the wheels. You certainly have a large surface area so you will be able to tackle large projects or as large as the throat will allow. Being in a wheelchair you need things at just the right height so how did you determin what the height of the table should be from the floor and now that it is done are you happy with the height. The reason I ask is that I have been told by my consultant that I will be dependant on a wheelchair soon. I was measured for the wheelchair and it came recently so when the big day comes I will have to modify everything in the workshop and its something I just cannot think about at the moment.

Hi ben that looks a Great scroll saw stand and if you put Hinges on those side lids you would get loads of storage space for patterns blades ect. :idea:

Geoff :D

Ben.

Looks good, and very substantial. =D>

Have you thought of posting your idea/solution to other forums.

(ie) Forms that relate to disabled adaptations, wheelchair users etc. I regularly visit the MS Society and the MS UK forums, as I have MS.
At this time I am fortunate in being able to stand/walk, well sort of ( I do a very good impression of being drunk). :roll:
But one day I might want to use similar, so thanks for posting.

If you have thought of other forums then please ignore the above.

All the best to you and your family.
Happy scroll sawing.

Chris R.

Hi Ben I did not realize you had a disability,what a wonderful job you have done to adapt the Hegner to your needs.Congratulations on the birth of your Son,who I am sure will be proud of his dad designing the table to produce some toys in the future.I have a plan for a Toy Fort that was a plan from Hobbies of East Dereham,last year I contacted them has I wanted to pass a copy on to a friend.The reply was ( no problem ),Ben if you would like copy of the pattern please PM me with your e-mail address.I have just located the post for the Fort it is on Page 24.

Bryan

Chippygeoff":2da1jk0b said:
That is excellent. Are you able to lock the wheels. You certainly have a large surface area so you will be able to tackle large projects or as large as the throat will allow. Being in a wheelchair you need things at just the right height so how did you determin what the height of the table should be from the floor and now that it is done are you happy with the height. The reason I ask is that I have been told by my consultant that I will be dependant on a wheelchair soon. I was measured for the wheelchair and it came recently so when the big day comes I will have to modify everything in the workshop and its something I just cannot think about at the moment.

The height was a bit of trial and error on the first two standard benches i made and i used a long level rested on my legs and meassured between the floor and the underneath of the level this was not a very accurate way of doing it so i ussed my desk to reference what height i could get away with getting my legs underneath and measuring what extra room there was between my legs and the underneath of the desk and took that away i then made the benches up to as low as possible to give me the best reach on top. all the 5 benches i now have are the same height and all have lockable wheels except my two big work benches that have folding castors which fold down when one end of the bench is lifted so they are sturdy but still movable if needed.

Many thanks Ben for your reply, you have provided a wealth of information. Glad its all working out for you and I wish you well for the future. All the best.

Nice bench, Ben. Letting the saw into the bench like that is something I wish I had thought of when I built my bench, except in my case it's the vice that's just a bit too high.

Nice job Ben. Very professional looking bench and extremely practical. A great idea for any scroller I reckon. Thanks for showing it to us and congratulations on your new arrival.
Mick

Back