What's your favourite word?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best explanation of onomatopoeia comes from a children's book called Mary Plain; it's the sound made by dropping a brick six feet into four feet of water - spidumfla. Perfect.

pants has always been a favourite of mine (not used in the modern way to say something is rubbish)

I'm ashamed to say that I find the way people say swear words fascinating. Especially the F word. It can sound so different all over the world.

Can't really think of any words I don't like.

My vocabulary is probably not as developed as most, but I do like learning new words and love it when I get a chance to use them. It annoys me when certain people aren't willing to widen their vocabulary. Especially when they have trouble articulating what they want to say.

woody67":1400s3ku said:
Reading an article lately about the nations favourite words got me thinking........so what's yours?

My favourites - Catafalque and surreptitious. :D

Most disliked - Carcass and gusset. :(

No psychoanalysis please and no words like "work" etc :wink:

Thanks

Mark :D

Ooh yes Catafalque as in "Lying in state, on that catafalque? In those robes. It didn't half give me the..........
Wos wrong wiv Gusset?

Why do folk use the words Early Doors and Fess Up is it to show they a cool or what, I assume Fess Up is slang for Confess.

dedee":20bapy86 said:
I also like "qat" as this has caused many an argument while playing scrabble. I had to buy my father a new dictionary once just to prove it existed.

I thought there was only one "approved" dictionary for scrabble?

BugBear

Yiddish actually. I prefer Schmutter, various but usually 'rubbish!'.

Roy.

Yiddish actually. I prefer Schmutter, various but usually 'rubbish!'.

Roy.

Back