What's this bit on my lathe for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":2y14xh9a said:
Well, I contacted Tony at Lathes.co.uk and he replied straight away and said:

"It's the holder for "white lead" - used to lubricate the tailstock centre. When new, there would have been a dipper rod in the hole to apply the highly toxic material. The same fitting can be seen on lots of lathes of a similar age."

So James got it right - thanks everyone.

I don't think I'll go for period accuracy on that one!

Well, that's a new one on me - you learn something every day, don't you?

It raises the possibility that the hole could be used for it's original purpose, substituting a heavy oil or light grease for the white lead. The downside would be that the well would gradually fill with swarf and other muck, potentially allowing carry-over to the centre hole, thus throwing the job off-centre by enough to make a difference on something needing accuracy. I suppose you could use a pin on a cork, though. (Personally, I use an oilcan - the oil stays clean!)

Yes, surprising things can be discovered (or at least surprising to a non trained machinist such as me). Whilst I was searching for an answer to Andy’s question about the tailstock hole I found Barnes advertising material that said their lathes were capable of ball turning but didn’t explain how. Now I know that ball turning attachments are available for other lathes but apparently this feature was built into Barnes lathes. It was true – I found out that it was possible as the photos below show. The topslide can be swivelled 180 degrees around its pivot.

Attachments

• IMG_1283C.jpg
    IMG_1283C.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_1279C.jpg
    IMG_1279C.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_1277C.jpg
    IMG_1277C.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 890
Now that is interesting. I'd been thinking about that but had not tried it yet, so very interesting to see the proof!

Personally I would have said it was for holding some form of lubricant for the tailstock such as the highly toxic "white lead"....wait...oh! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I too love these threads...highly educational and certainly Tony is your man for the answers on these things. He was a true star when it came to my old Taylor (of Hulme) lathe

Jimi

I simply love Tubal Cain's work. His book on hardening metal is superb.

He also has a great way of explaining things and he just oozes experience.

However...my wife says that it doesn't matter if it is beautifully made...there is no way she's having Mercurochrome daubed on her boo boos by anyone!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

That's an imitation Tubal Cain. The REAL Tubal Cain (T.D.Walshaw) was born and brought up near Millom on the Cumbrian coast (except it was Westmoreland then, I think), and didn't have an accent like that!

Cheshirechappie":3kc2cbax said:
That's an imitation Tubal Cain. The REAL Tubal Cain (T.D.Walshaw) was born and brought up near Millom on the Cumbrian coast (except it was Westmoreland then, I think), and didn't have an accent like that!

Really!!!...I always thought it was he! You learn something new every day. So...the book I have on metal hardening is British...by this TW Walshaw who is presumably now dead and someone has taken his name?

The guy in the USA is..none the less...a very experienced chap and I have learned a lot from his simple and humble tips and wrinkles.

Jim

Hi
Given the size of the tailstock I would say it was for a handle. I used a lathe such as this in the 60's when I was a student engineer, it had a handle for
Sliding the tailstock back and forth easier than with the tailstock body.
David

Tubal Cain is just a pen name used by these two men. The British chap used the name separated by a space and the guy in the States uses the name without a space. However, neither of them is the original Tubal Cain, he was the first metal worker mentioned in the Bible and the reason why the name was chosen as a pen name by these two people.

See this Wiki

regards

Brian

If not already said its a dobber well. You're missing the dobber. Lubricant would be in the well and a bit of pointy metal sits in it covering the hole. You use the dobber to dob the lubricant on whatever.

Makes a nice little project on the lathe to turn one completing the lathe

Back