What's this and how do I remove it without damaging it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
There are two veneered MDF cabinets on the wall of one of our new spare rooms, as well as a wardrobe. I'm trying to take the cabinets down and put them away in the loft until we move out because we have another large wardrobe that I want to put against that wall instead.

The problem is that they're held together, and to the wardobe, using the plastic fitting below. I can turn them with a screwdriver but at risk of chewing up the plastic. What's the safest way to remove it so I can separate the cabinets from the wardrobe?

I imagine they're a feature of budget cabinet construction but I've never installed anything fitted so I'm unfamiliar with them.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 239
Wrap a bit of sellotape around the tip of a thin flat head screwdriver and lever out. If they are the turning type, maybe 5p coin.

I think you will find that there will be another one on the far side. Each is actually a tubular nut with a slot on. There will be a short length of steel studding joining them together. So hold it still on one side, unscrew on the other. Use a broad screwdriver which fits and you won't screw up the plastic.

But if you do, it's no loss - just drill a hole in one board and use a countersunk woodscrew into the other.

LeeElms":3hpindcb said:
Agree with the above, except that some that I've encountered are just 2 plastic parts that thread into each other.

My thoughts as well

Got them out, turns out that they were completely plastic with no metal parts and the two I tried to remove before posting were a bit knackered which is why they weren't coming out easily.

I've had the same trouble. The two plastic parts seem to stick to each other for some reason.

Back