What's the clearest "clear" product you've used for glazing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krome10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

For those who have read my other recent posts, the external wooden windows are slowly but surely being finished. I'm at the stage with some where I am ready to apply the product that will seal the DG panels to the surrounding wooden beading....

So I tried Dow Corning 799 this morning.... I had read a review which said it was quite opaque, but I did not expect it to be this bad! Very noticeable, opaque and blue-ish. Not what I was looking for at all!

I have some Geocel "The Works" in clear. I think it is similar to CT1 (which I have not used but I've seen the videos). As opposed to the DC799, the Geocel product is fantastically clear. You cannot even notice it is there unless you get really close. Super!

However, all the advice I've read is that for sealing DG units a Low Modulus Neutral Cure Silicone should be used. The Works is not silicone (it's a SCY polymer) and is HIGH modulus. I've spoken to Geocel and they say it is safe to use and won't harm the seals of DG units.

I just wondered what people's thoughts are on all this and whether anyone has used The Works, CT1 or similar in this application? Would also be interested to hear from anyone who has found a Low Modulus Neutral Cure Silicone which is totally clear and transparent...

Sorry for the long post and many thanks to all

Max

Why not use butyl tape? The black look is smart compared to clear silicone once its cone a little bit grubby. Plus butyl tape is the proper way to do it. Look at hodgson sealants methods in their technical library. B5 iirc.

Thanks Olly - I'll look into that later when I've finished for the day....

But just to clarify, can the tape be used for the final seal between glass and timber (once the windows are already installed and painted)? Or is it used only for bedding/when putting the glass panes into the frames?

Cheers

Look at the technical specification in their library (on their website) it gives instructions (with photos) on how to install DG units in timber frames.

In a nutshell -

the tape is applied to the upstand of the frame, DG unit is inserted in to the aperture, with setting\location blocks as required (the tech spec explains this) - the gap between the DG unit & frame is fully filled with sealant.

More tape is applied to the outside face of the DG unit, more sealant applied and the beading pressed on & pinned. Excess tape is cut off with a curved blade.

Sounds a lot - but dead easy.

Get the tech spec & post up any questions once you've read it.

HIH

Dibs

Many thanks for that....

I'm not too sure which product specifically to look at and could not find anything when I searched for B5.

Would you mind telling me which product you guys have in mind?

seagull27":x98b0lak said:
Many thanks for that....

I'm not too sure which product specifically to look at and could not find anything when I searched for B5.

Would you mind telling me which product you guys have in mind?

Go here - http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/html/technical-library/

Click on the 2nd tab that says Glazing System Selector and you should see the B5 column. Clicking on the "Tick" should offer to open\download the specification clause\document.

The actual product is Flexistrip - http://www.hodgsonsealants.com/productp ... ing-tapes/

Worth ringing your local glaziers and see if they stock it & they probably will sell it to you. Failing that ring Hodgson's sales dept & they should tell you the name\number of a glazing firm local to you that buys loads of it.

HIH

Dibs

p.s. For the sealant - unless it's BioClean or similar - Everbuild's 450 is fine. You'll need to get proper rubber setting & locating blocks.

Back