Whats the best way to inset router plate with rounded corner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should use a router bit with the same or smaller radius and make yourself a template from MDF that you can use with a guidebush. Spend a decent amount of time getting the template right and practice on scrap before letting rip on your router table.

Also think about cutting out the hole for the router before you rout the hole for the router plate as it is a real fiddle the other way around

Regards

Jhalfa

Hi John
I wish you'd asked before buying!
The plate you have bought is very poor IMHO. It is deliberately crowned. The manufacturers say this gives better support at the cutting action. Rubbish, it's because it's quite difficult to make a plastic plate properly flat.

For very little more money you could buy an ali one from Tilgear. It's the same size, comes with three different inserts and is as flat as you need. I upgraded earlier this year and I wish I'd done it years ago, it is so much better.

I bet that's a lot of help! :)
S

Steve Maskery":3ru0lkcv said:
Hi John
I wish you'd asked before buying!
The plate you have bought is very poor IMHO. It is deliberately crowned. The manufacturers say this gives better support at the cutting action. Rubbish, it's because it's quite difficult to make a plastic plate properly flat.

How much more difficult than making it flat would it be to make every item have the same amount of 'crowning'? If they can make manufacturing accurate enough to make the crowning precise and repeatable, then why don't they make it flat like the rest of the plate?

I know you didn't get on with the rousseu plate Steve, but I disagree with your statement that they purposely lie about the crowning issue because they are in capable of making it flat.

Most of the reviews that I've read of the product explain quite clearly the reasons for the crowning, and it makes sense to me, so much so I bought one and had no real problems with it in that sense.

However, I feel axminster should make more of an effort to explain the properties of the plate so people aren't confused or disapointed with the crowning.

No doubt the manufacturer have their own reasons for making the plate crowned, but for the life of me I can't see how this would help on a perfectly flat router table?? The whole idea is to have the timber sit flat on the table top to introduce it to the cutter at 90 degrees! If it is crowned then the timber is being introduced to the cutter at an angle and thus useless! :? What is the point in levelling screws on the plate if it isn't flat?? I also can't see it being to allow for the weight of the router as it should be stiff enough to support it without bowing! IMHO if it isn't flat it is useless. :shock:

Interesting thread.

The point about crowning has always puzzled me as I have never been able to think of a single advantage to having any table anything other than flat.

If a table saw was crowned, people would be moaning like mad and sending it back!

I've also seen it said somewhere that the crowning helps when the thing sags under the weight of a heavy router - this too sounds pretty suspect and more a case of 'marketing speak' than anything.

Steve,
I think you've hot the nail on the head. Is there any chance you could supply a bit more info or maybe a link to where the one you are using came from.

Thanks
Mike

OH cheers Steve :shock:

I bought that same plate about 2 years ago intending to build a proper router table for my Dewalt 626.

So far I have drilled it out to attach the router and then put it back in the Axminster jiffy bag where its sat ever since :lol:

At this rate I should have it ready for xmas 2010 :lol:

Are they really that bad I didnt think it was that bad ?

Chris

Chris, why not try it out and see if you like it or not. The crowning seems to be a personal thing, you either like it or don't. The main function of the crowning is to make it the heighest point, this equals out bumps and valleys in the top and/or the piece which helps precision, there's some websites and diagrams on google that explain this.

Just try it and see what YOU think.

For the fact that it's one of the biggest selling router plates the world over must say something, in my very humble opinion.

chipp71970":wpwe6z36 said:

I bought that same plate about 2 years ago intending to build a proper router table for my Dewalt 626.

So far I have drilled it out to attach the router and then put it back in the Axminster jiffy bag where its sat ever since :lol:

Chris
If you really want to acheive accurate cuts on the router table you will need a very flat plate, just take a look at this thread it shows the inaccuracy that can happen with a little bit of sawdust let alone a domed insert plate, well thats how I see it.

motownmartin":102rwddk said:
chipp71970":102rwddk said:

Chris
If you really want to acheive accurate cuts on the router table you will need a very flat plate, just take a look at this thread it shows the inaccuracy that can happen with a little bit of sawdust let alone a domed insert plate, well thats how I see it.

A small thing, the plate is crowned, not domed - there is a difference, the top of the crown is flat across the hole where the bit spins, so any stock passed over the bit is perfect flat - think of it more as a donut rather than a 'dome' as that implies that the surface does not have a 'flat' to it which it does.

ByronBlack":ena82oqn said:
motownmartin":ena82oqn said:
chipp71970":ena82oqn said:

Chris

A small thing, the plate is crowned, not domed - there is a difference, the top of the crown is flat across the hole where the bit spins, so any stock passed over the bit is perfect flat - think of it more as a donut rather than a 'dome' as that implies that the surface does not have a 'flat' to it which it does.
Crowned, Domed, I can't really knock it cuz I have never used it, I just know it's a bu**er if it's not flat :)

Sorry Byron I am not purposely being thick here but can you explain what you mean by the crown equals out the bumps and valleys in the top?

Surely making an insert perfectly flat is the way to go, or have I missed something?

Cheers

Mike

Byron,

I do understand why it is crowned and I always knew it was, its sold as being crowned slightly so as not to sag too low when a heavy router is fixed to it.

obviously the hole in the centre needs to be the highest point of the whole table in an ideal world the table and insert will be perfectly flat.

I wont be working on building the router table for a while I am getting in to Festool at moment so the table has been put on hold :lol: :D

Latest posts

Back