What's the best epoxy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
After some really helpful answers on my post for colouring epoxy. Thanks

I now need to know if anyone can recommend a good clear epoxy for fixing cracks and other defects.

There are so many out their....most are just 2 tiny 15ml tubes for around £6.00.

Thanks

The best is probably West epoxy but it is only supplied in quite large quantities and it does have a shelf life.

Devcon clear epoxy is good and available in small quantities. To be honest, I mostly use the two-syringe stuff from the pound shop - it's clear, convenient, cheap, mixes easily and is more than strong enough for any normal wood purpose.

The key to good bonding with epoxy is really thorough mixing of the two components.

You could also try Polyester resin, they sell 500ml tins of it in places like Halfords. Polyester resin is normally quite a bit cheaper than Epoxy.

Just to confirm, this is for clear fills and not where you intend to colour or add a filler?

West Systems had a clear epoxy with a powder (than can be dyed to match the finish) that fills cracks. You can also use saw dust, but the powders work better.

For larger areas I have used (for filling clear) some DPM stuff from eBay. Worked really well. I've also added things like steel swarf to make it more interesting.

eBay link here

I got some from EBay : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacer-Technolog ... B00SXJJ4I4. I think Axminster or Rutland do the same as well,. It is clear and will take colour, although I have only used black dye.

I have seen cheaper at www.shop4glue.com , lots of choice there, but the problem is making an order. I have been trying for 24 hours to get through to the, the website won't accept payment, the emails don't get answered and the contact phone number is permanently engaged ......perhaps its a real good product :p .

If anybody gets a response from them please let me know :wink:

Z-poxy is good. I've also got a tin of this gel stuff that you mid with sawdust and it sets rock hard but can't remember what it's called

Hi

Rather than look for epoxy, I'd suggest searching casting resins - the type popular for 'exploding' watch paperweights a few years ago. They are crystal clear - and let's be honest epoxy / polyester, is going to be stronger than the wood they will be adhered to.

If you need something that's not going to flow too much add the word thixotropic

Regards Mick

I don't know if the OP has ever used epoxy and would advise that a bit of study might pay dividends,rather than running the risk of an expensive mistake.Epoxy is a wonderful adhesive and has other useful properties,unfortunately it isn't quite clear and has a faint honey colour.This may not be a problem for the intended use.Unlike polyester,there is very little shrinkage and a better chance that it will stay attached.You need to mix it in a shallow container if you will be more than a few minutes working on the item as the exotherm will soon begin if a tall compact container stands for very long.

West is good,as is Gurit and MAS may be a little more tolerant of less than perfect mix ratios.

Laminating epoxy is indeed normally a pale honey colour but you can get water clear epoxy.

east coast fibreglass supplies have a decent range and dont cost the earth...
I use their freefix 2part resin glue for many things including the slightly loose tenons on our dining table, and putting my GRP car back together :lol:

I has used West Systems epoxy .... superb product .. and immense strength & waterproof capabilities.

You can buy in small packs ... I use with the micofibre filler to make it 'stiffer' to use and better gap filling.
Most places stock the 'Junior packs' ... some also stock small syringe type packs.

Also do a full repair kit 'west systems 101' which includes epoxy, 2 different colour filler powders and mixing pots.
Amnister stock these.

Be warned the 2 part d-i-y epoxy such as Araldite rapid .... are not clear, and also yellow significantly as they age.

ScouseKev":bttbe7yp said:
ED65...yes i'm going to add colour.
There's no point in paying for a high-end epoxy if it's going to be strongly coloured so if that's the case I'd suggest you head to Poundland and let Tommy Walsh sort you out :)

Back