What's been your Best Buy this Black Friday/weekend

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
So we've all had the emails come flying in trying us to buy buy buy......let us know what your best deal is, and where to find it so the rest of us can get 1 :)

8 lengths of 25 x 50 x 3 mm x 1.5 m mild steel boxtubing. Bore on. Wasn't even in the sales. :(
If any one sees any half decent 19mm 3/4" auger bits going cheap I'd love to know. :wink:

Edit.. actually I got some rutlands clamp heads delivered, that MCB was kind enough to point out to me and ordered a day or two ago. £25 for 4. They are a bit rough cast tbh compared to some Paramos that also arrived today but for £6 a set I'll use em as back ups and do the filing necessary to make them work. As stated can't test em yet, steel only ordered today.

Funnily enough, I've just bought a 19mm bit from Workshop Heaven. £50 and it came with two free holdfasts :)

I decided not to be taken in by Black Friday despite my wife sending me deals on a 60" TV and and new fridge freezer!

no emails or circulars here, I buy what I need when I need it and not tempted by marketing ploys so I saved 100% on everything I didn't buy today. Cheers.

Had a quick look around on my usual tool suppliers websites.
Considering some were actually advertising "Black Friday" deals I found their offerings disappointing to be honest.
So wasn't tempted in the slightest.

Nothing. I'm not keen on supporting the importation of an event which injures (and sometimes kills) people every year in the US.

I've seen no bargains really.

I would've been ready to spend on a tv/dvd combi, a new smartphone, the worx plunge saw if homebase did their 20% off thing and a new 2hp dust extractor but nothing at all on sale was a bargain from the previous week

My deal of the day came as an unexpected 3.5 meter x 0.55 meter DIA. oak trunk cut into 500-600mm lengths.I could not lift them so they had to be cut in two length ways.This stranger would not take any payment but he did accept one of my folding wine picnic tables.

Peter.

I managed to get a bargain on a tumble dryer which is for the good lady wife's birthday next weekend, though if I'm honest it wasn't a planned "Black Friday" purchase, I just had time to get her surprise pressie yesterday morning whilst she was busy, that said I'm not complaining about getting a decent discount \:D/ \:D/

skipdiver":1fkggt1p said:
Black Friday my arris. Biggest con ever and people fall for it. Fighting over TV sets that you can get just as cheap all year round if you search around. Watch this jaw dropping clip from last year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/busi ... r-TVs.html

Have to agree with this ^.

I still can't figure out why we are even trying to adopt this concept into the UK; It never gets positive press which devalues and detracts from the retailers involved. Also, it adversely affects annual profit by shifting December high end margins to November and subsequent low end gains, i.e. people blow their xmas budget on tat with significant lower profit to the store. Some retailers base their business model on healthy profit periods like Christmas so this has to be a potential and significant business risk.

This is clearly a US led initiative via Amazon and Asda (Walmart) and the likes but I still can't figure out the commercial sense of it.

FB_IMG_1448713702259.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1448713702259.jpg
    FB_IMG_1448713702259.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 129
shed9":38lknp6h said:
This is clearly a US led initiative via Amazon and Asda (Walmart) and the likes but I still can't figure out the commercial sense of it.

It's a good way of getting rid of stock that when the new year comes will be last years model, by discounting it in November you've emptied your shelves/ warehouse ready for next years stock. Makes sense as if you are still holding old stock in the new year you are still gonna have to discount it to get shut of it. It also frees up money tided up in old stock to buy in new.

Doug B":1swo7vnr said:
shed9":1swo7vnr said:

It's a good way of getting rid of stock that when the new year comes will be last years model, by discounting it in November you've emptied your shelves/ warehouse ready for next years stock. Makes sense as if you are still holding old stock in the new year you are still gonna have to discount it to get shut of it. It also frees up money tided up in old stock to buy in new.

I kind of assumed that this was a stock thing however I've since found out that a large proportion of retailers have started to buy stock in for Black Friday. I'm aware (via retail buyers) that the likes of Asda and Tesco for instance have intentionally stocked up for the Black Friday event and in some cases with product lines they have never ran with before. Some one is certainly getting rid of stock but ironically not the retailers we associate with Black Friday.

shed9":18rkwvav said:
I'm aware (via retail buyers) that the likes of Asda and Tesco for instance have intentionally stocked up for the Black Friday event and in some cases with product lines they have never ran with before. Some one is certainly getting rid of stock but ironically not the retailers we associate with Black Friday.

This has been the case for years with most large retailers & it's not restricted to Black Friday, the January sales is rife with product lines that suppliers need to get rid of, large retailers buy up vast quantities at rock bottom prices & sell as "sale" goods whilst still realising good profit.

Doug B":36jhilfg said:
shed9":36jhilfg said:
I'm aware (via retail buyers) that the likes of Asda and Tesco for instance have intentionally stocked up for the Black Friday event and in some cases with product lines they have never ran with before. Some one is certainly getting rid of stock but ironically not the retailers we associate with Black Friday.

This has been the case for years with most large retailers & it's not restricted to Black Friday, the January sales is rife with product lines that suppliers need to get rid of, large retailers buy up vast quantities at rock bottom prices & sell as "sale" goods whilst still realising good profit.

But that's my point they are not realising good profit on these low end items, nor is the retailer getting rid of stock but the suppliers.

I realise that retailers buy bulk and sell bulk at certain periods but to do this in November with the associated risks to December profits is not commercially sensible. January perhaps, but November?

Latest posts

Back