What's accoya like to work with ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good to work with if a little brittle, you need your tools nice and sharp.

It's basically Radiata pine which has been pickled in vinegar.

They want me to put in some flitch plates, so it's pretty basic carpentry. Are there any dust issues that I should know about before I go and talk to them on Monday ?

As far as I know the dust isn't toxic but it's very dusty dust!

I think it's because the moisture content of Accoya is really low the dust acts a bit weird, it seems to get full of static really easily and stick to everything, it blocks filters quicker than dust from other timbers.

It comes off the moulder really crisp and smooth. However it does not much like a hand plane. I think a high angle would help, it likes to tear a bit. I try to minimise hand work with it.
Made quite a few doors and windows with it but the price is absolutely bonkers mental these days.

It is very, very dry and the dust will static cling to everything and smell like you are eating salt and vinegar crisps. A bit brittle as Doug71 said.

Paints nicely though you are supposed to use end grain sealer on it, Teknos do a sealer and specific Accoya paint.

Ollie

It's good to work with if a little brittle, you need your tools nice and sharp.

It's basically Radiata pine which has been pickled in vinegar.

After a session of machining Accoya, the workshop has a nice aroma of salt ’n vinegar crisps.

It’s nice to work with, I find. I don’t think this will be an issue for the OP’s project in hand, but you do need to be careful sanding Accoya as it develops ripples easily.

Cheers

I thought it might be a bit grim.

The price will have to go up to accommodate that then, I'll add a grim dust premium as I'll be on the chain morticer. A tool known for spraying shavings into places shavings shouldn't be.

I've been asked to work with some accoya gluelam beams and was wondering what accoya was like to work with.
Seems an odd choice for a flitch beam….accoya is chuffing expensive and brittle….not ideal for use as a structural component.

is this an architect spec………

I trust the flitch plate is not steel?

Seems an odd choice for a flitch beam….accoya is chuffing expensive and brittle….not ideal for use as a structural component.

is this an architect spec………

I trust the flitch plate is not steel?
It's all very hush hush, so I can't tell anything about it except the accoya is FOC and there's lots of it.

It is an odd spec, accoya looks cheap but is really expensive and is a very poor choice for structual work.

It's an art thing, so best not to think too much about it.

I don't think accoya is my thing anyway, so I'll just try and talk/price my way out of it.

Thanks for the information.

Back