What year?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boothie14

Established Member
Reaction score
Could any one tell me what year they think this stanley bailey was produced?I just bought it :D says made in england on the casting and the blade is stanley sweetheart

THIS LINK should help.

It is a bit confusing at first but it makes sense in the end.

The trouble is twofold. Firstly, many planes have had replacement parts over their lives - genuinely replaced that is...and this confuses the issue.

Then secondly there is some overlap in design changes.

The way I do it is to start with say the FROG shape...this gives you the rough range. Then see what the handles are made of and this cuts it down further.

Then say look at the lateral adjustment lever and that will narrow it down further and so on....

Does this make sense?

Jim

Benchwayze":1v5genmk said:
Hi, Welcome aboard..

The lever cap is post WWll. So it could be a 'mongrel'. No reason to suspect it won't make a good plane. But it could be an 'Acorn' casting, with a Stanley lever cap iron.

If you want to date your plane when you get one, go here:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan13.htm

Do Acorn castings have 'Bailey' on?
Its a bitsa and look's toshed up for sale but will probably do its job.

The woodwork looks a bit red, for a Stanley. I'll go check my Acorn...

Edit:

My five and a half Acorn has Made in England in front of the knob. The size cast at the rear. Nothing about 'Bailey'. The handles are finished with an orange/red laquer. No complaints with this plane though. I have a pre-war iron in it and it's probably better than the current run of the mill Stanleys.

My favourite at the moment is a 1950's Stanley 'foreplane' a five and a half. But tomorrow... who knows, I might get a Lee Valley.
:D

John :)

Back