What wood would be suitable...if any?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to make some wooden buttons for someone that would be OK in a washing machine at 30 degrees. I can;'t think of any that are really suitable but said I'd ask around. Anyone got any ideas? They are to be used on a cardigan or something I think. It would need to be bare wood as any finish would come off eventually if not immediately

Pete

I would try Beech Pete, can't remember what the wooden Washboards were made from but anything that is used for kitchen ware, spatulars, spoons etc. should be fine.

Some ecperiments with grain orientation may be advisable to reduce splitting/failure along the hole line.

Thanks Chas. I think ideally end grain might be best as that way you wouldn't have any grain running across the button. Beech makes sense. Perhaps I'll knock some up and get Sue to bung it in the wash and see what happens

pete

I think I'd go for Branch Yew as I reckon it would be less likely to go fuzzy.
Cheers John

How big/small are they :?:
Will they have holes in,or a small stud on the back :?:
If they have holes this will weaken them.

Dont think you would go wrong with oak, they built jetty's with it in the iron age that are still there today.

stevebuk":3vfm8r72 said:
Dont think you would go wrong with oak, they built jetty's with it in the iron age that are still there today.
Oak was my first thought Steve but there is a danger of staining clothes with all the tannin reacting in the water. Not a risk I fancy taking

Pete

Hi Pete try LIGNUM as it oily . I have turned green coloured lignum.HGB.

hgb":r52nhk6p said:
Hi Pete try LIGNUM as it oily . I have turned green coloured lignum.HGB.

Again lignum would definitely withstand the water and the temperature as it is or was used for bearings on ships propeller shafts but I don't think it would be suitable for clothes. Also the buttons would be very expensive, seen the price on the stuff....unless I got hold of a couple of old bowling balls

pete

Just had a look and I have some clothes with wooden buttons. I think the wood is beech and ash but they are covered in varnish. So if you used a good yacht varnish it should stop any problems.

john

jpt":9m8l5lsh said:
Just had a look and I have some clothes with wooden buttons. I think the wood is beech and ash but they are covered in varnish. So if you used a good yacht varnish it should stop any problems.

john

Thanks John, could be the solution. Beech seems the fore runner...hadn't thought of yacht varnish though.

Pete

Hi Pete,
How about Green Heart that stands up to constant emersion in sea water or if you can stand the side effects iroko that also withstands sea water. So they might stand up to a 30 degree wash.
Regards,
Ian

Turn It In":3hbamv3d said:
Hi Pete,
How about Green Heart that stands up to constant emersion in sea water or if you can stand the side effects iroko that also withstands sea water. So they might stand up to a 30 degree wash.
Regards,
Ian

Green heart again I'd have to buy and it's not cheap. Now iroko i have coming out of my ears thanks to Chas...still got some of those shelves left Chas :lol:

Could be a solution. I hadn't realised it was impervious to water like that. Perhaps have an experiment with it.

Thanks

pete

Pete,
There is a joinery company in Hull who produce massive window frames in iroko for the RNLI and the last lot they fitted were that close to the sea they had to put the scaffolding tower on the beach at low tide and really go for it!!
Ian

I hear Green Heart can give you gangreen if you get a splinter. I was told this by a yachtsman who fitted it to his boat as a deck, I haven't checked th info.

I wouldn't make the buttons end grain. Buttons are quite thin and will be very inclined to chip and break around the edges in use if made that way around.

I have some old wooden buttons myself - they all look as though they are made of beech and most are still heavily varnished (although on some the varnish is now crazed with age). They are all long grain. Most came from coats or heavy wool cardigans that were rarely washed and if so, washed carefully by hand in cool water. Some have holes in (2 or 4) others have a metal loop on the back. The holes do not seem to have suffered from any splitting or cracking.

I also have some wooden toggle-type things on some modern clothing that get frequently machine washes. The toogles look like they were made of beech and were lightly varnished when new. After a few washes they are still functional, no splts round where the hole is, the varnish has disappeared and the surface of the wood is rough - like a used wooden spoon. To be honest, the wooden toggles have lasted longer than the thread (or quality of sewing) used to attach them!!!

tekno.mage

In the olden days the buttons would be removed before washing the garment but that was back when the washer person [how pc is that :lol: ] knew about needles and threads :roll:

Back