What wood for a climbing frame

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocalOak

Established Member
Reaction score
As spring approaches Swimbo has been dropping hints about a climbing frame for our daughter. There are plastic monstrosities that go for £80 is on ebay so I've suggested, inevitably, building one myself.

My question is what wood to do it from? Treated softwood, planed of course to avoid splinters? Resilient hardwood such as oak or green oak? Another option? One thought was to use treated roof truss timber?

I'll bolt the elements together for strength and the ability to knock it down, stainless if I end up with oak.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience I'd be very grateful.

TIA

Toby

I use that decking stuff which is really cheap for outside things. I built a fence from boards of decking left over from a project and it is still perfect after over 5 years.

It's light too.

Jim

Pressure-treated softwood (some sort of pine) is what mine is made out of. It was painted twice with something or other (Mr. Ronseal's fence paint, I think) and gets an extra coat each spring. It's been up three years so far without any signs of rot, but I don't really expect it to last more than ten years. And frankly that will be something of an achievement - I bought the timber from somewhere in the Gloucestershire region in 2007, when most of the county was underwater, and the timber was pretty much soaking wet.

Of course, creative types might be able to design their own, but I cheated and bought a Jungle Gym kit with a few extras.

Back